File Path

General HighDesign Discussions
peatle

File Path

Post by peatle »

I'm wondering about including the file path for the particular drawing that I am working on somewhere on the sheet so it is visible on the hard copy for quick reference.

Does anyone do this, is it really of any use ? Anyone know how one get to see that file path in the system somewhere in order to copy and paste it into the drawing.

As I'm using HD more and more ( I'm just switching from the board and learning from the manual - no previous CAD experience ) I'm wondering if anyone knows of any publications, sites, etc that I can look at to get suggestions about the most effective way of getting organized to work with CAD.

I have set up Border / Title Block templates, Material List, that can be merged. I feel that there must be a lot of other things that I could have premade to save time .... things that I can't even imagine probably.

Maybe there is something like a system of saving files by which I can type in just the drawing no. to get to it ..... anyone have any pointers ?

Thanks in advance, Peter Russell

steven

CAD system

Post by steven »

what kind of CAD do you do? I have experience in residential architecture in doing conceptual presentations and working drawings. For me the main focus is to have a vision of what the end product should look like.

peatle

Post by peatle »

Steven

We are a little way apart. We are a Steel Fabrication Co. and our main industry is the Ready Mix Concrete business.
We build Storage Components, Conveyors etc. for the Ready Mix Producing plants. We also manufacture Transit Mixers ( Concrete Trucks )

macitect

Re: File Path

Post by macitect »

peatle wrote:I'm wondering about including the file path for the particular drawing that I am working on somewhere on the sheet so it is visible on the hard copy for quick reference.

Does anyone do this, is it really of any use ? Anyone know how one get to see that file path in the system somewhere in order to copy and paste it into the drawing.
I worked at a large firm and this was standard practice. It really does help when looking for files!
For the time being you can see the file path in spotlight. However, I think this would be an excellent feature to request. Perhaps this could be included in the Document Properties panel (HD already keeps track of file path in order to give the "open recent" option.) and applied to any printing as a stamp.
peatle wrote:As I'm using HD more and more ( I'm just switching from the board and learning from the manual - no previous CAD experience ) I'm wondering if anyone knows of any publications, sites, etc that I can look at to get suggestions about the most effective way of getting organized to work with CAD.
I've also tried searching for this kind of info... but to no avail. I would say that the first thing is to get your feet wet by commiting to doing a project. Then, the best is simply experience - your own and asking tons of questions to people who have been doing it a long time. Don't hesitate to surf other CAD-program-specific forums... You can always browse for, or post, generic questions about things like project and file organisation.
...And of course post lots of questions here!
peatle wrote: I have set up Border / Title Block templates, Material List, that can be merged. I feel that there must be a lot of other things that I could have premade to save time .... things that I can't even imagine probably.
Already a great start... now start making symbols of everything you draw for more than one project, and make groups for anything that is repeated but project specific... (And don't forget to copy your custom symbol library into new updates of HD and back it up if ever you clean out your computer!!!)

Good luck!

peatle

Post by peatle »

Macitect

Thanks for the feedback ! I've noticed in the forum before, you taking considerable trouble to address people's questions, it is much appreciated.

How do you do that thing where you split out the paragraphs of a post and address the points individually in your reply ?

Peter

macitect

Post by macitect »

peatle wrote:How do you do that thing where you split out the paragraphs of a post and address the points individually in your reply ?
I start by pressing the QUOTE button. Then when I am in the reply screen I copy (command+C) the entire quote. Next I erase all but what I am responding to betweeen the quote commands - found in the [ ] parentheses. Then I paste the entire quote block after my answer and again erase the irrelevant bits.

I hope that is comprehensible... :wink:

cheers

Andrew
Site Admin

Post by Andrew »

peatle wrote:I'm wondering about including the file path for the particular drawing that I am working on somewhere on the sheet so it is visible on the hard copy for quick reference.

Hi Peter, that makes an interesting feature request. File paths are helpful when the project files are stored in a central repository to keep track of changes, versions, variations, etc.
I think we can add a read-only field in Document Info quite quickly.

The file path is currently visible by command-clicking the document title of the project window.

macitect

Post by macitect »

Andrew wrote:Hi Peter, that makes an interesting feature request. File paths are helpful when the project files are stored in a central repository to keep track of changes, versions, variations, etc.
So would it also be possible to have that info stamped on the plot if so desired?
Andrew wrote:The file path is currently visible by command-clicking the document title of the project window.
Thanks!

peatle

Post by peatle »

That would be great ......... !

The file path is currently visible by command-clicking the document title of the project window.[/quote]

Yes, I have used this feature .

peatle

Post by peatle »

Hmmm ........ that didn't work too well !

Back to the ,,,,

macitect

Post by macitect »

peatle wrote:Hmmm ........ that didn't work too well !

Back to the ,,,,
Just don't delete the one at the beginning... ➔
peatle wrote:
This one ends the quote [/...]

peatle

Post by peatle »

macitect wrote:Just don't delete the one at the beginning... ?
peatle wrote:
Let's see ........

peatle

Post by peatle »

DRAT !!!!!

peatle

Post by peatle »

macitect wrote:
peatle wrote: Just don't delete the one at the beginning... ?
peatle wrote:
How's this ?

peatle

Post by peatle »

LATER .......................#&8#@!!!!