Library

General HighDesign Discussions
jmartinarch

Library

Post by jmartinarch »

I am currently using the trial version and am curious if the actual app includes a larger library of symbols?
plumbing fixtures, electrical fixtures and what about general annotation symbols like detail references, section references and drawing titles.
I currently use autocad, but since buying a macbook I've been wanting mac based cadd. Autocad for mac isn't super great and is very expensive.

Thanks,
JM

alexwhite

Re: Library

Post by alexwhite »

I dont believe there is a change in symbol size. Several of us a couple years ago tossed around the idea of building a user based symbol database kind of like Sketchup did... but could figure out how/where to place the database...

I import DWG/DXF images a lot, especially from plumbing manufacturers and convert them to new HD symbols.
fat guy in a little coat

jmartinarch

Post by jmartinarch »

Thanks alexwhite,
So the importing of dwg/dwf is not to painful then?
I routinely download symbols from various mfg's for use in autocad, bet even so they still need a bit of tweaking
to suit. So if I have to do a little work it is not a big deal.
What about symbols for schedules? Usually a some shape, triangle, square, oval with text inside. Can symbols be made with editable text or fields?

thanks again,
John

alexwhite

Post by alexwhite »

There's usually no problem inserting dxf/dwg's. However when you create the new symbok with a text field as part you will have to explode it to edit when you add it back to a drawing.
fat guy in a little coat

jmartinarch

Post by jmartinarch »

Hmm. So maybe this is something to "wishlist"? A symbol with editable text. Or maybe HD calls it something else?

matthew.Stanfield

Post by matthew.Stanfield »

jmartinarch wrote:Can symbols be made with editable text or fields?
What i have been doing to get around the non-editable text in symbols is to create my schedules in a separate file with place holder text. In doing so, i have ready to use schedules that can be 'merged' with a working file when needed. This also allows me to have my door, window, light fixture, keyed notes, etc... notations as groups. The text in groups can be edited. By holding down option you can select an element within a group. Once the text element i selected, select the text tool to edit it.

I hope this helps.
matthew.Stanfield
Principal Architect
FiELD9: architecture
Mansfield, OHio
http://www.field9architecture.com

jmartinarch

Post by jmartinarch »

Remember I'm new to HD... I understand creating the schedule outside of HD and importing or pasting in.
The notations as groups I will have to experiment with.. Oh, do you mean you can edit the text file or excel file while in HD by holding the command key to select the element? But still the question remains, how do you label a door or window, shear wall, or keynote an object? A symbol with text, but you explode it to put the correct number or letter inside.
Kinda stinks when it comes time to move things around you just have to be sure to grab all. Well I guess it is not that bad. You either have to edit a field or attribute or just edit text. hmm. okay no problem.

Thanks,
John

matthew.Stanfield

Post by matthew.Stanfield »

Actually, i create the schedules using HD, i just save each schedule as it's own HD file. Then when i need them, i use the Merge command from the File menu. This is much simpler and quicker than copying and pasting. Once the schedule is in my working HD file, i can copy the 'symbols' (i called them notations in my previous post so as not to confuse them with HD symbols) to the appropriate sheets and locations on the drawing.

Since the door, window, wall type, etc... 'symbols' are created as a group, all the elements of the 'symbol' can be selected with one click and copied or moved as necessary. They can also be edited by holding the 'command' key when selecting (i erroneously said it was the 'option' key in my previous post, sorry about that mis-information). This method allows the 'symbol' to be edited without exploding, but also allows it to be selected and moved or copied as single entity.

For instance, if you have a door symbol as an ellipse with a numeric notation inside, you can draw the ellipse to the size you want it. Then using the text tool, create the appropriate text and then align the text to the ellipse as you see fit. Once this is done, you can select both the ellipse and the text and group them using Organize>Group (or Command-G). At this point, the text and the ellipse are grouped together such that they are selected as one entity and move, copy, rotate, etc... together. Once the group is created in this way, any particular instance of the group can be edited without ungrouping nor exploding. To edit the text of the door symbol, just select the text element within the group by holding Command and clicking on the text element. Then select the text tool and click on the text element again, type in the desired numeral for the door and click outside they group to close.

I hope this helps and is not too confusing. If you need any further clarification about this method, i am happy to try and clarify as necessary.
matthew.Stanfield
Principal Architect
FiELD9: architecture
Mansfield, OHio
http://www.field9architecture.com

jmartinarch

Post by jmartinarch »

Excellent explanation. thank you for taking to time to explain in such detail.