Hierarchy and relationship of "pages" to "layers"

General HighDesign Discussions
Bob Thomas

Hierarchy and relationship of "pages" to "layers"

Post by Bob Thomas »

I'm feeling very brain dead about the use of pages and layers. I've been away from high design for a couple of years and although I have picked up most of the functionality rapidly, I cannot get back into creating pages and layers. I have read and re-read the descriptions of layers and pages, but confess none of it tells me how they interact, or how to make them work together. I have created pages and thought I was subsequently creating layers for those pages, but then all the drawing that I thought I was doing on the 2nd, separate page ends up on the layer page of the first drawing. Is there perhaps a tutorial video that explains the process. It seems to me that all the past drawing that I did must have been only on sheets using additional sheets as actual layers for dimensions, and other elements. But it seems to me that the layers are for that purpose. I just can't figure out how to create pages that have layers that pertain to that page and that page only.
I'm embarrassed to ask this question, but would be most grateful if someone could give me a succinct example of how these elements work and how they are linked.
Thanks so much - Bob Thomas

matthew.Stanfield

Re: Hierarchy and relationship of "pages" to "layers"

Post by matthew.Stanfield »

I am not sure i am understanding your dilemma entirely. So if my answer is out of order, please forgive.

First off, i am assuming that by "pages" you are referring to Sheets. If so, layers and sheets behave somewhat independently of each other. Any given layer can exist on any given sheet, so long as you create an object on said sheet with said layer. Layers are not sheet dependent. And as far as i know, they cannot be made such.

Sheets, in my experience, are used to organize information as overlays or simply if you want to keep two drawings separate, but in the same file. Such as two floor plans that you may want to overlay for editing alignment, but want to print together. By keeping them on separate sheets, one can be moved "overtop" the other to check alignment and edit and then moved away for printing purposes. Additionally sheets can be used to organize drawings such that an entire drawing can be made visible or not regardless of what layers are visible.

Layers, on the other hand, are used to organize information within a particular drawing that you may want to be able to turn off and on independent of the rest of the drawing. I also use them for organizing based on what pen weight and style i will eventually want to assign to the objects for ease of selectability.

I hope this helps and is not too far off the mark.
matthew.Stanfield
Principal Architect
FiELD9: architecture
Mansfield, OHio
http://www.field9architecture.com

SurfingAlien

Post by SurfingAlien »

excellent explanation Matthew!
it should be added to the HD manual indeed... now I'd only add an additional thought: sheets can also be used along with the Merge option (read "load into" ...don't know exactly what's the name of this feature in the english version since I use the italian one :wink: ) so you can draw with lighter files, specially for very complex projects, and merge them only for layout and printing purpose.

cheers,
Alessandro

Bob Thomas

Post by Bob Thomas »

Bob's back. Thanks very much, Matthew and Alessandro for the clarification. I did indeed mean "sheets" when I referred to pages. Sorry for confusing the terminology. It makes more sense now.

matthew.Stanfield

Post by matthew.Stanfield »

Glad i could be of assistance.