plotter recommendations

General HighDesign Discussions
kohledfusion

plotter recommendations

Post by kohledfusion »

I'm thinking of purchasing an inkjet plotter, any recommendations? Or any absolute - NO WAY models?

I trust your experiences over the info on the HP, Canon and Epson web sites! I need 24" width, USB, able to print on vellum & plain paper...it can be monochrome. The most important thing, of course, is that it work with Mac OSX & HD :) Older models are fine, since I may purchase one used in California & drag it home to Hawaii.

Thanks!
Erin

steven

printer

Post by steven »

HP designjet 130......I wouldn't purchase a used printer -

peatle

Post by peatle »

Steven

Are you using the HP inkjet plotter that you recommend here. I am looking into them as well as I don't think that I am going to be able to get Diazo paper for my Bruning PD101 machine for much longer.

The people that supply my diazo paper are coming to talk to me about a HP machine that will do a 24" wide roll of bond or vellum ( not sure of model no ).

What I am concerned about is that there has been talk, over the years, at the Mac Users Group that I occasionally attend about HP not being very supportive of Macs.

I have had no problems with the Epson 1280 that I can print 11 x 17 with at the moment.

Peter

steven

Post by steven »

Yes, I've been using the HP 130 for @ 2 years - I use it just about everyday at the office - it's a great machine. The color prints are remarkable. I've been using HP printers for over 20 years in my practice and I highly recommend them for the work enviroment. I think most of the new HP printers support the mac.

peatle

Post by peatle »

Do you produce all copies that you require of your drawing sets on the HP 130, is this economical on an inkjet, or do you produce one copy of each and then have more copied on an electrostatic machine ?

steven

Post by steven »

I produce most of the copiest I need for my projects - but, if I have to produce, let's say 10 sets of working drawings (@ 150 sheets), I'll send them out. My time is better spent doing other things.

kohledfusion

Post by kohledfusion »

thank you Steven, that's the exact model I've had my eye on. I'm assuming you have the 130NR with the roll feed?

steven

roll feed

Post by steven »

I got rid of the roll feed to force myself to get out of my chair more often and get away from the computer. I tend to get fixated to the computer and if I don't get out of my chair on a regular basis I start to have back problems. You're probably a lot younger than me and have a stronger back..........

kohledfusion

Post by kohledfusion »

ha, no! The computer can suck me in for hours at a time too. Do you use 24x36 precut sheet? Good to know that you got rid of your roll, it looks like the 130 is $600 less than the 130nr model!

steven

Post by steven »

FROM THE 130 I PRINT
8-1/2 X 11
11 X 17
18 X 24
24 X 36

kohledfusion

Post by kohledfusion »

If anyone else is interested in the HP DesignJet 130, HP is selling it refurbished on their site for $877.25! That's $418 off their regular price. Free Ground shipping (I'm in California).

Note that this is for the 130 model, not the 130NR (which has the roll paper feed).

Three cheers for the internet & especially the Forum!

Erin

peatle

Post by peatle »

If you don't have the roll feed on the HP 130 what is the configuration of the paper tray for say, a 22 x 34 sheet ......... does the whole thing stick out of the back of the machine ?

kohledfusion

Post by kohledfusion »

peatle, here's the info from the HP site:

Base model (24 in) with 70-sheet input tray for up to 18 x 24 in sheets, slot for up to 24 x 64 in single sheets

so anything over 18" width is manual feed. I opted for this approach due to $$$. I'll probably purchase the roll feeder/cutter in a few months after the printer is paid off. I think the cutter/feeder runs $400.

peatle

Post by peatle »

I still can't get the picture of what the footprint of this machine is to assess how much space it is going to take up.

I see from the dimensional info on their site that the machine is approx 42" wide and 21" deep. Can anyone who uses the single sheets in 22x34 or 24 x 36 tell me if the feedtray with the blank sheets in extends directly out of the back of the machine and about how far.

I am limited for area in this office and don't know if I could fit this in without having the roll feed.

I see from the US and CDN sites that there is no reflection of the dollar parity right now. Base model in the Us is $1295 while here in BC it is $1699 ............can't be $400 shipping & duty costs can there ?????

peatle

Post by peatle »

oh ! OK Erin I reread you r post and I tnink now that anything over 18 X 24 you have to feed into a slot sheet by sheet, so there is no actual tray, is that correct ?

Peter