Cut an ellipse

General HighDesign Discussions
peatle

Cut an ellipse

Post by peatle »

Is there a way of Cutting/Trimming/Breaking an Ellipse in order to change the part if it that is hidden to a dashed line ?

Thanks,

Peter

macitect

Post by macitect »

The only way I have found to do this is to explode it, but then you are left with many many little segments.

If ybalx doesn't have an answer, then this might have to be a feature request...

If i figure out any other workarounds in the meantime I'll let you know.

cheers.

peatle

Post by peatle »

OK ..... Thanks Macitect for starting me off.

The exploded ellipse is made up of a series of short lines. I can click on alternate ones and delete them so that this produces a dashed line in the areas required. Cumbersome and I wouldn't want to be doing it often but it enables me to produce the symbols req'd.

The remaining elements of the ellipse can be Grouped to make them one again if req'd.

A whimsical sidenote produced whilst trying this method :

If you explode an ellipse and zoom right in you can see the control points of the short, straight lines. Pick one of these and pull it away from the ellipse to produce a straight line sticking out of the ellipse. Now pick the control point of the line on the other side of the gap that was produced in the ellipse and pull it out to connect to the end of the first line extended. Voila ........ your own High Design Speech Bubble ........ Bit of useless info eh?

Peter

alexwhite

Post by alexwhite »

You're on the right track... instead of erasing every other segment, after exploding, select all of the segments then select a dashed line type and the result should be what you're after. You'll need to erase and trim the portions you need.

One more thing, instead of then Grouping all the new segments, Select all then Tools/Convert to Polygon. You can then edit the points to create the speech bubble or whatever else.

Alex

fat guy in a little coat

peatle

Post by peatle »

OK ..... thanks ybalx. Replacing with the dashed line should be a lot quicke rthan all that clicking.

Peter