Import/Export Capabilities

General HighDesign Discussions
mattmgut

Import/Export Capabilities

Post by mattmgut »

Greetings. I recently purchased HighDesign and I am impressed with the tools and workflow.

However, I cannot agree more with those that ask for DWG and EPS (or .ai) import/export capability. While AutoDesk might suggest using DXF as the principal drawing exchange format, it does not play well with others. I do not mean that it is not supported by other programs, but I have found that the information is converted: text become lines, hatches become lines, arcs become lines, circles become lines, etc. Once exported in DXF, vector data is lost and editing in other programs becomes difficult.

I intend to use HighDesign as a 2D drafting program, but I also plan(ned) on using it to create editable backgrounds that I then import into Lightwave 3D to build 3D models. The best way to get information into Lightwave is to import it as an EPS file. I was using TurboCAD for Mac to do this but found the program generally weak. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the vector information out of HighDesign intact?

macitect

Post by macitect »

Hi mattmgut,

I have had reasonable success using dxf in SketchUp. But I agree it can be a real pain because generally I have to trace over, as SU divides all lines where they are intersected (perhaps it is the dxf conversion that does that). I also find that when importing dxfs, the way it treats text leaves something to be desired.

I would recommend writing directly to tech support and/or adding this to the wish list. The team at Ilexsoft are normally only too happy to have suggestions and are very responsive!

I too love this program, but think that the ability to import/export both dwg and eps would be a great enhancement and improve file sharing on projects that include consultants who don't use HD.

mattmgut

Post by mattmgut »

Thanks for responding macitect:

What version of SketchUp are you currently using?

mattmgut

macitect

Post by macitect »

Playing around with 6, but 5 is still my mainstay. (Plugin for a render program not updated :-( )

The experiences that I am talking about would have been versions 5 and 4. Generally I have always had little issues importing from any cad program into SU, so generally what I do is group all lines, put them on a single layer - ie "import" - and trace on a different layer with the SU tools. In the end I find it alleviates headaches (imperfect vertices etc) and is more time efficient.

mattmgut

Post by mattmgut »

That is exactly what I plan to do. All HD work will be on a separate layer that I use only as a non-editable template.