Problem with Text in 6.5 Pro

General HighDesign Discussions
kohledfusion

Problem with Text in 6.5 Pro

Post by kohledfusion »

Hi, I am having intermittent problems where text command exits out when I hit the space bar. Meaning I can only type one word at a time. I have to re-open the text, type another word, repeat. For now I'm typing my text in pages and copying it into HD6.5 when it's done. That's not a viable ongoing solution. This happens in both brand new files created in 6.5 and older files opened in 6.5.

This is just one of the issues I'm having, but is most urgent.

2019 MacBook Pro Big Sur 11.6
2.4GHz 8 Core Intel i9
32GB 2667MHz DDR4
AMD Radeon Pro 5600M 8GB
Pahoa, HI

* Architectural Drafting & Design * Metal Art *
* Custom Quilts * Web Design and Programming *

Andrew
Site Admin

Re: Problem with Text in 6.5 Pro

Post by Andrew »

Hi and thanks for your feedback! We are trying to reproduce the issue but nothing like that has happened so far in our tests.

What exactly happens when the Text tool exits? Is it the input box that simply exits or does the current tool change from Text to something else?
Normally, the space bar is associated with the Pan command. Perhaps the space key is redirected to the Pan command.

You could also check your keyboard shortcuts both in HighDesign and in the System Preferences > Keyboard panel and make sure there are no conflicting settings. Sometimes even a third party utility can interfere with the keyboard handling.

In the meantime we are double-checking the code to make sure the Space bar is not intercepted while the text input box is open.

kohledfusion

Post by kohledfusion »

I checked shortcuts. Pan is mapped to 'H' and there is no mention of spacebar in my keyboard assignments. I haven't installed any new software, except upgrading to R6.5.

I've emailed the video file to tech support email.

-Erin
Pahoa, HI

Andrew
Site Admin

Post by Andrew »

Thank you Erin for the video! It seems that pressing the space bar does activate another tool, in your case the Door tool, thus exiting the text input area. I would check the keyboard shortcut for the Door tool anyway: if it is empty, it could be really mapped to "space". Try assigning a different key.

On our side, even though we have not been able to reproduce it, we have made two changes to the code that should prevent that situation. Apparently when the text area is transparent its window still catches keystrokes, at least on the latest macOS versions. If you want, we can prepare a beta so you can check if the fix works for you.

kohledfusion

Post by kohledfusion »

Hi Andrew,

I would be happy to test a beta, then check on Doors mapping to whitespace. You can send a beta link to the same email on my account.

-Erin
Pahoa, HI

Andrew
Site Admin

Post by Andrew »

We just sent you an email with the link to the beta.