exporting to pdfs

General HighDesign Discussions
simon

exporting to pdfs

Post by simon »

when exporting a drawing to a pdf line type 41 just appears as a straight line. Anyone else have this sort of problem when exporting to pdfs.

matthew.Stanfield

Re: exporting to pdfs

Post by matthew.Stanfield »

I do not "Export" to PDF. I alway Print to PDF.

I just tried exporting one of my files that uses line type 41. It shows up as a straight line. Additionally, my fonts get messed up.

Try Printing to PDF and see if that fixes it.
matthew.Stanfield
Principal Architect
FiELD9: architecture
Mansfield, OHio
http://www.field9architecture.com

simon

Post by simon »

I just noticed that some of my title text has lost the underline as well. Reassuring to know it's not just me

simon

Post by simon »

just gone to print to pdf and the line is ok as is the text, problem is i do my printing at a local printers (mainly a1 size) as my home printer is just a standard a4 the save via pdf saves then on to loads of a4 size sheets. Any idea how i save the file to a1 so i can take them to my print shop without losing lines text etc.

John Compiani

Post by John Compiani »

Yes, exporting to PDF is totally broken for me too.

You can set any paper size if you go to page setup then select the custom paper size. You can enter any dimensions you like in there, regardless of whether your printer supports that page size or not. You can set the printer to "Any Printer" first if you like.

simon

Post by simon »

just gone to page set up and customized my paper size to the A1 size went to print then save as pdf. The result, a blank page saved as a pdf! There has got to be a better way than this, Is there anyone else out there that prints remotely on sizes such as a1 and a0 and if so what format do you save on in order to get accurate prints of your HD drawings.

matthew.Stanfield

I use a local print shop for the bulk of my printing as i tend to use 18"x24" for my drawings and my printer at home only goes to 12"x18". Here is how i set up my files for printing.

1. I set up my title block Sheet at 1:1 scale and set it to show page extents and chose the appropriate paper size (in my case US Arch C).

2. I then set up a Print Area 1/2" smaller than the paper size so i have a 1/4" margin around the entire Sheet.

3. All the drawings are on Sheets according to the scale of the drawing and arranged within the Print Area.

4. Choose Print Preview from the File menu.

5. Select the Print Area from the Printable Area drop down menu

6. Select Page Setup. Format for "Any Printer" and choose the desired Paper Size from the drop down menu. (Set up custom paper size for your desired paper size if needed with 0 margin). Select "OK".

7. Select "Print..." from the Print Preview menu.

8. Select "Save as PDF..." from the PDF drop down menu in the Print window.

9. Choose save location and name the file.

10. Copy file to flash drive and take to print shop. I do have issues printing PDFs from Adobe, so i make sure the print shop knows to send the file directly to the printer and not through Adobe Acrobat.

I know this may seem like allot of steps, but i really broke it down more than it probably needs to be.

I hope this helps.
matthew.Stanfield
Principal Architect
Mansfield, OHio

simon

Post by simon »

Matthew it worked thanks so much if your ever in the uk and for some bizarre reason your in derby I will buy you a pint

matthew.Stanfield

Your are quite welcome. I am glad it worked for you.

I will keep your offer in mind if i am in the UK anytime soon :)
matthew.Stanfield
Principal Architect
Mansfield, OHio