Snap driving me nuts!

General HighDesign Discussions
Jonathan Lear

Snap driving me nuts!

Post by Jonathan Lear »

Hi Everyone

I'm new to HD although not new to CAD in general. I am trying to make the transition from auto cad to HD however the snap function is driving me mad. I've noticed that, for example, when I dimension from an intersection of two lines to another intersection the snap function appears to work however when I then zoom in it is a fraction off target. It's like the snap hasn't worked at all. Other times it works well. it seems hit and miss as to whether it works or rather places the line or dimension accurately. I have the snap set to 5 pixels and the grid turned off but all the other function on.
Any help would be appreciated.

Jonathan

matthew.Stanfield

Re: Snap driving me nuts!

Post by matthew.Stanfield »

I have be using HD for nigh on 6 years now, and i still have similar snap issues. It is just something i guess i have come to learn to live with.

I also think it may be a problem with the display when zoomed way in. I have recently transitioned to a WYSIWYG way of working rather than assigning pen weights to colors. I notice when i zoom in really close, the lines seem inordinately fat. They do not print that way, and they look fine when zoomed out.

Similarly, when i snap to a point when looking at a macro level, i often times have to adjust it when i zoom in to a micro level.

All that is to say that it seems that HD behaves differently at different zoom levels. Not sure if this is actually the case, but my experience seems to bear it out.

Anyways, hopefully these issues will be resolved if the next version is ever released.
matthew.Stanfield
Principal Architect
FiELD9: architecture
Mansfield, OHio
http://www.field9architecture.com

Jonathan Lear

Post by Jonathan Lear »

Thanks for the info.
In some way it's good to hear that it's not just me having these problems and as you say hopefully they will be sorted as and when the next version is released. I really like HD and I think it could be really something if these smaller issues were sorted. You need to be able to trust that the cad program you're using gets it right every time.

Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I solved the snap problem for me.
For the technical drawings I set snap to grid and apply a grid of 1 mm. al over the drawing.

Some times I set snap on object, to simplify, and soon as I have selected the line set of that snap to objects. Otherwise even with snap to grid on the snap to objects overrules the grid ands the lines are no more aligned.
The rest of the snaps I never have used.
Ship modelling is not a hobby, it has become a way of live. © Brian King.
Als je ouder wordt, wordt alles slechter, behalve het vergeten, dat wordt steeds beter ..