Drawing straight lines

General HighDesign Discussions
Roy

Drawing straight lines

Post by Roy »

Hi All,
is there some way to draw straight lines other than holding down the "shift" key? I frequently hit the "return" key instead of the "shift" key.

TIA

Roy

matthew.Stanfield

Re: Drawing straight lines

Post by matthew.Stanfield »

You can click the start point of the line, then type "A" for angle and then input the desired angle at which to constrain the line to ("0" or "180" for horizontal; "90" or "270" for vertical)
matthew.Stanfield
Principal Architect
FiELD9: architecture
Mansfield, OHio
http://www.field9architecture.com

alexwhite

Post by alexwhite »

Try using the other shift key...
fat guy in a little coat

Roy

Post by Roy »

alexwhite wrote:Try using the other shift key...
Alex,
good idea except the mouse is set-up for a lefty so it makes getting to the other shift key more difficult.

May have to try Matt's idea since my fat fingers & brain keep getting messed up.

Roy

David

Post by David »

A bit late in the day here, but this is another option I just found by playing around, and other options are always valuable at one point or another, I find.

Click the start point. Repeatedly tapping the TAB key runs through X, Y, L, A, exit. If you tap twice to have the Y option, then type 0 [Return] for a zero offset, the line is restricted to the horizontal. I haven't played with the other options yet, but they seem to be obvious.

David.
P.S. I'm left-handed, but don't find that a disadvantage.

jmartinarch

Post by jmartinarch »

Reviving this discussion .. ..
Now that years have passed and new versions are out, is there a way to set a few fixed angles an ortho mode or polar mode. If we could set 0, 30, 45, 60, 90 then we wouldn't have to hold the shift key. Of course we would need to be able to 'release' those angles for the exceptions.

have a good weekend all
john

matthew.Stanfield

Post by matthew.Stanfield »

jmartinarch wrote:Now that years have passed and new versions are out, is there a way to set a few fixed angles an ortho mode or polar mode. If we could set 0, 30, 45, 60, 90 then we wouldn't have to hold the shift key. Of course we would need to be able to 'release' those angles for the exceptions.
Nothing has been introduced to this effect yet. Though i am quite happy to just use the shift key to constrain a regular angle, it would be nice to set the increment of the angles as they are currently in 45º increments only.

For less 'regular' angles i find just using the angle setting for the first line and then using the perpendicular and parallel settings for subsequent lines / walls works pretty efficiently.
matthew.Stanfield
Principal Architect
FiELD9: architecture
Mansfield, OHio
http://www.field9architecture.com