wishes...

If you would like to see a feature implemented in HighDesign please post your suggestions and requests here.
Yien

wishes...

Post by Yien »

As many of you probably work with dual dimensioning (yeah, we Canadian still have to work in imperial), maybe a nice option to input is DUAL dimension :P

I also noticed there is no gradient fill. so what could be the use of that? I could explain myself longer but to make it short, drawings in HD are mainly for construction but sometime for presentation too. I've learn to do both on the same drawing, client like it, it rocks! by i need to use Illustrator for it. Just to reduce the number of software we using, i suggest a gradient fill tool!

One last, open pdf (done from other cad works or HD) in vector instead of raster image.

We will see 2.0 before 2009 if you HD team continues to work like that!
see ya in 2008 everyone!

Y

peatle

Post by peatle »

Good suggestion ! ..... I have just received some drawings with fractional inch dimension and metric in brackets all contained within the dimension line.
It looks good and is very useful in some instances.

macitect

Post by macitect »

Probably a good wish list item, but I just gotta say... I HATE METRIC!!!! I cannot relate to the distances, and can't imagine areas. I don't say "you get used to it" because I grew up with it and used it throughout my edjacashun.

peatle

Post by peatle »

'edjucashun' ...... is that a 'Knajunism' Derek ?

AJUK

Post by AJUK »

I think it would be a good option to include.

In the UK we work in metric but we usually talk to a contractor on site in imperial. We still use miles but we buy petrol in litres yet work out the cost per gallon and drink our beer by the pint. What a funny old world it is. :D

peatle

Post by peatle »

We have the same hodgepodger system here in Canada even though we have been officially Metric since the seventies.

I grew up on Imperial but have to say that Metric is a lot more self explanatory and I wish that we could switch every body over at the end of work today and start out with a clean slate tomorrow

macitect

Post by macitect »

peatle wrote:'edjucashun' ...... is that a 'Knajunism' Derek ?
Nah, just my resilience in the face of indoctrination. ;-)

Metric... great, multiples of ten, easy scaling. But... SUCKS for harmonious proportion - try to divide a metre by three or six. Ask 10 people to show you a metre by hand - you'll get 10 metres of wildly different lengths. Do the same thing with feet and you'll get 10 feet that all land within an inch - even amongst those of us who grew up metric.

Btw I am 6'1" tall and weigh 200lbs... Bet everyone on here has to do a conversion in their head if I asked your particulars in metric. 8)

peatle

Post by peatle »

It's only easy to divide a foot by three or six because they are the easy divisions that are commonly chosen for that unit because they are what work well with it. If you are working in metres then you choose accordingly. Try dividing a foot by 2.5 or 5.

Ask 10 people to show you a Yard and how many different results would you get ?

macitect

Post by macitect »

peatle wrote:It's only easy to divide a foot by three or six because they are the easy divisions that are commonly chosen for that unit because they are what work well with it. If you are working in metres then you choose accordingly. Try dividing a foot by 2.5 or 5.

Ask 10 people to show you a Yard and how many different results would you get ?
You could be right about the yard, it is rather close to a metre...

But about the division, in metric 5 represents half and 2.5 represents a quarter. You're right, it slightly harder to divide twelve by those numbers, but not the same relative values (6 and 3). The point I am making is that imperial lends itself much more easily to proportional divisions other than half and quarter - like thirds - which in and of themselves open up a whole new world of proportions.

I couldn't agree more that metric is well suited to scientific applications where quantities are generally far more abstract, but with the building profession I can see why so many people cling to imperial because it is based on an average male's anatomy. People can relate to it in a concrete manner more easily. (He||, I say bring back the cubit, the hand and the stone as units of measure! :D )
(And allow me a pre-emptive strike... there is no need for anyone to interject here with the tasteless joke about a woman's inaccurate sense of length with regard to the male anatomy statement.)

Furthermore there is NOTHING in the world as perfect and well balanced as a pint! ...except maybe a second and third...

Sorry for hijacking your thread Yien. :?

peatle

Re: wishes...

Post by peatle »

A 'Pint' of Marston's Pedigree would be great right now ....... ( a Litre would be even better though !!!!!! )