strange behaviour. ??

General HighDesign Discussions
Beagle

strange behaviour. ??

Post by Beagle »

I just has created a drawing of a triple -expantion steam engine with layers. The whole drawing fits in a A4 page. It was originaly created in vectorworks exported to a DxF file en importeted in HD.
The layers are :
1-basic, 2-Cylinder, 3-pistons, 4-Condens, 5- Pipes.

When I select in the layer icon on the property bar 1-Basis, I see all my drawings and other layers.
But If I deselect, (make invisible the 1-Basic) all others layers become invisible to. ?????

Other strange observation.
I make Layer 3-pistons the active layer and select a part of the drawing to make a group. Than it also select the lines of the other layers to ???
Just what I don't want.

Andrew
Site Admin

Post by Andrew »

Hi Beagle,

One thing you should pay attention to in HighDesign is layer assignment. To change the layer of an object, you do not open any dialog or type any command: you simply select the object and choose the new layer from the menu. As simple as that. Perhaps you selected that layer with other objects selected, and that caused the "strange" behaviour you described.

The fact that a layer is not the currently active does not mean its items are not selectable. To make its items unselectable, you have to lock the layer by clicking the lock icon.

Hope that clears up the layers concept a bit.

Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Ok
But I have set form the menu color by layer !!!!
Each layer has is own unique color.

On the drawing (The screen) I see the different colors, So I assumed that every line thake the color of the layer he is on.

But all the lines where in the basic layer with their different color!!!!! , That is quit difficult to understand.

Andrew
Site Admin

Post by Andrew »

In HighDesign, objects can have different colours even if they are on the same layer and the ByLayer option is on. This was designed this way to allow the maximum flexibility.
In other words, the byLayer option is a "weak" reference to the colour of the layer that can be overridden anytime you need.

Anyway, you can select all the objects of the same colour and assign them to one layer. This can easily be achieved through the Find panel.

As a general rule, you will have much less headaches if don't force HighDesign to work like other programs just because that's what you would expect. An unexpected behaviour isn't necessarily a bug, and most of the times it isn't. It is just that perhaps you are trying to apply to HighDesign the mindset of another software.

Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Thanks for the advice.
Yes I had a lot to learn, as I just start to work with HD. 1.5 Std
and sorry for the questions.