Need HD15 help :(

General HighDesign Discussions
kohledfusion

Need HD15 help :(

Post by kohledfusion »

Aloha, I have come across two items that are driving me nuts.

1) I have my move shortcut set to CMD-1. It says CMD-1 in the drawing menu, and it does work if I only move ONE item. However, I just tried to move an entire floor plan. Using the shortcut only moves a) no items if I click anywhere that isn't a data point or 2) one item if I select a data point, out of the hundreds available. What's odd is that if I use the pull down MOVE, it will move the entire set of items I selected. Does anyone else have this problem with a re-assigned MOVE shortcut? I've got HD shortcutted to the point where I rarely use the menus. Bizarre shortcut behavior/ having to use the pull downs slows things down considerably.

2) I just tried to draw a 10" line. Selected the line tool, clicked "l" and entered "10". I got 10 FEET. I tried again typing in 10" (with the inches double quote - again I got 10 FEET. I looked around for a default setting to default raw entry to inches, as it's been for years. What's the solution here? Do I have to type 0'-10" ? If so, that is a lot of wasted keystrokes. I had old HD shortcutted so that my right hand basically lives on my numeric pad to do length entries. Having to move over to shift " is not a welcome change. Do I have to memorize decimal feet- egads.

I'm trying to complete an incredible simple job and this is slowing me down by at least a factor of 5, not to mention the frustration.

Hopefully I am missing something very basic??? Off to read the manual again.
Pahoa, HI

* Architectural Drafting & Design * Metal Art *
* Custom Quilts * Web Design and Programming *

kohledfusion

Re: Need HD15 help :(

Post by kohledfusion »

Got another one.

I selected a line & tried to nudge it with the arrow keys. The first nudge moved the line, second nudge deselected it & did nothing. So to nudge a line '4 arrow clicks to the right' I have to select, nudge, select again, nudge, select again, nudge, select again, nudge.
Please tell me I missed a preference somewhere.

This has been reported already, but WOW, big problem... split will not work on multiple lines. How soon will this be fixed?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

I'm on Mavericks still, FWIW.
Pahoa, HI

kohledfusion

Post by kohledfusion »

When I hold down SHIFT to constrain at 45/90 degree angles, my 90 is 90d30' when I pull down, not true 90. If I try pulling up to 90, I get 89d30'.

If this mac wasn't so expensive, I'd throw it across the room. Really.
Pahoa, HI

matthew.Stanfield

Post by matthew.Stanfield »

I have just noticed the input units problem as well. I think this is new with the latest update. I am certain that the previous version of HD15 the input units were inches not feet. That being said, i can input 10" to get it to work. Still an annoyance, but not as bad as what you are experiencing.
matthew.Stanfield
Principal Architect
FiELD9: architecture
Mansfield, OHio
http://www.field9architecture.com

kohledfusion

Post by kohledfusion »

Hi Matthew,

How weird that we are getting different behavior. I just spend two days doing a total reformat of my drive & clean install of Yosemite and HD 15. I still get 10 feet if I type 10 or 10". I was hoping a clean sweep of my drive & all programs would solve some of my issues, but no luck.

What are your sheet units set to? I'm on Fractional Feet & Inches.

WELL I'LL BE DARNED. I just tried Fractional Inches setting and that DOES let me enter numbers only & I get inches!!!

-Erin
Pahoa, HI

Giovanni

Post by Giovanni »

All Input inconsistencies have been addressed in the upcoming HD 2015.2
Giovanni Suraci
ilexsoft - Look Ahead

kohledfusion

Post by kohledfusion »

Grazie, Giovanni.
Pahoa, HI

Giovanni

Post by Giovanni »

HighDesign 2015.2b3 is available for download at http://www.ilexsoft.com/ftp/pub/Softwar ... 15.2b3.zip
This new beta fixes the issue of mirrored walls which did not keep their construction side and the right opening of doors and windows. This version also fixes a problem with HighDesign Standard showing a message ("Sheet 1 is Hidden") when importing DXF/DWG drawings. All the input inconsistencies have been addressed.
Giovanni Suraci
ilexsoft - Look Ahead

kohledfusion

Post by kohledfusion »

Aloha Giovanni,

Thank you for the good news about the beta. However, the link does not work, it cuts off the 'e' in software & the zip file name isn't inside the href. I tried to manually get to the file by guessing the file path, but no luck.

EDIT: macitect figured it out http://www.ilexsoft.com/ftp/pub/Softwar ... 15.2b3.zip
-Erin
Pahoa, HI

kohledfusion

Post by kohledfusion »

Aloha Giovanni,

I am still experiencing problems inputting units. There are some changes, but now other methods I used do not work in the beta.

Let's say I want to make a line that goes 12 feet in the X, 9 inches in the Y. In old HD, my keystrokes were "X 12- enter Y 9 enter".

In the Beta, when I am in fractional inches mode, I can use '9' and I get inches . In fractional feet and inches '9' gives me 9 feet. The problem arises when I try to enter 12' in fractional inches mode - I get 12 inches. HD is forcing my typed ' to inches. The only way I can get feet is to enter it's inch equivalent.

-Erin
Pahoa, HI

Giovanni

Post by Giovanni »

Well, to get 12 feet when you type 12' you need to set the units as "fractional feet and inches" because if the units are just "fractional inches" all the values are interpreted as inches: this way, to get 12 feet the right input should be 144". This is the expected behaviour.
Giovanni Suraci
ilexsoft - Look Ahead

alexwhite

Post by alexwhite »

I finally decided to try 2015.2 after seeing too many things in the early release that were being worked out... and I've been working with HD for so many years in production that it was hard to make the change. The first big issue for me was how direct inputs to Length is being handled.

I do not agree with Giovanni that the expected result is to default to the units preference for distance input. Maybe its something that us english dimension'ers have the extra burden of ' or " compared to our metric colleagues... because to get to the " we also have to add a shift+" We've become adept at converting inches to easy feet like 120 for 10 feet and so on... but I find its more of a problem especially in less than 1" units, like 5/8 or .625 to also add the shift+" too or how many inches are 16' or 22' and so on... its not something we memorize.

Why can't HD have a preference setting that let's us control how we want numeric inputs to be interpreted? Select this box if you want to default to the units or override to be inches.

Heading back to 18.7
fat guy in a little coat