drawing with different scale

General HighDesign Discussions
bogie

drawing with different scale

Post by bogie »

Hi guys and gals :-)

I'm newbie to HD and just trying its tools. i find the program quite clever but could not figure out how to place different 'drawings' in different scales on one sheet which is of course pre set in one scale. I come from the AutoCAD world where this is done by using viewports.

Would anybody advice me how to do that. My common sense tells me that using layers or overlapping sheets can do the trick. Am I on the right track?

bogie

matthew.Stanfield

Re: drawing with different scale

Post by matthew.Stanfield »

This topic was discussed to some extent in another thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=607

I too came from AutoCAD to HD. As such i tried very hard at first to make HD behave like AutoCAD. While there are advantages to the way AutoCAD uses viewports, HD's system is quite flexible and has its own strengths. The following is an excerpt from one of my posts in the above mentioned thread: "I have come to think of my sheets in a similar way to viewports for the layout of projects. This way i can have multiple scaled objects on a single page by putting each drawing on its own sheet (though i do sometimes use multiple sheets for a single drawing depending on the situation). The title block, i generally put on a sheet scaled 1:1 that shows the page outlines so i can easily see the area in which i have to work. All other drawings are then put on sheets that are scaled appropriately and arranged on the title block page."

So, yes you are on the right track with the overlapping sheets. I hope this helps.
matthew.Stanfield
Principal Architect
FiELD9: architecture
Mansfield, OHio
http://www.field9architecture.com

bogie

Re: drawing with different scale

Post by bogie »

thanks Matthew,

It does make sense to use different 'transparent sheets of paper' to glue on the main sheet. This what I did during my 'manual' years. My guess is if the layer had its own scale option the process might be easier. There is a software on the market called PowerCADD which is quite advanced 2D 'drafting board', but it costs $1200. Tones of tools and scale is handled by using lawyers. Although I think HD has a better tools for drawing walls and inserting parametric door and windows. I'm sure HD is aware of PowerCADD and will try to implement similar tools which are extensive...still, somehow I kinda prefer HD