copy and set properties

General HighDesign Discussions
emahfuz

copy and set properties

Post by emahfuz »

I am probably doing something wrong. the fact is that I am not being able to transfer properties from an item to another.

as a test I created a grey rectangle and an orange polygon. in trying to transfer some properties from one to another I option-clicked the grey rectangle to copy its properties. an icon appears as I do it. after that I tried to command-option-click to transfer the properties to the other one but nothing happened. I also tried it using the command to be found in the drawing menu. no luck either. no paint bucket appears (as the user guide says it should).

what am I missing or doing wrong?

matthew.Stanfield

Re: copy and set properties

Post by matthew.Stanfield »

Try activating the selection tool prior to pasting the properties.
matthew.Stanfield
Principal Architect
FiELD9: architecture
Mansfield, OHio
http://www.field9architecture.com

emahfuz

Post by emahfuz »

thanks, matthew. but is it not a rather awkward workflow? in several other apps once you have copied an item's properties the very next click will transfer them to one or more items. in HD this simple procedure involves a lot of additional clicks.

I wish this procedure can be streamlined for the next version.

matthew.Stanfield

Post by matthew.Stanfield »

The behavior seems to be somewhat sporadic. I honestly have just now started to notice the strangeness of this problem because i had just incorporated activating the selection tool prior to setting copies into my work flow. I generally just use escape to get out of the active tool (which makes the selection tool active by default) prior to setting the properties. This way it does not disrupt my work flow too much.

However, in paying attention to how the copy and set properties is working in order to respond to this thread, i have noticed that sometimes i can set the properties without first making the selection tool active. Some of the odd behavior seems to be related specifically to the rectangle tool as it tends to want to remain active when properties are copied until another tool (other than the selection tool) is activated.

Can you transfer properties without the added step of activating the selection tool if the object you are copying from is not a rectangle?
matthew.Stanfield
Principal Architect
FiELD9: architecture
Mansfield, OHio
http://www.field9architecture.com

emahfuz

Post by emahfuz »

matthew.Stanfield wrote:Can you transfer properties without the added step of activating the selection tool if the object you are copying from is not a rectangle?
no. it also requires the same action.