symbols - files

General HighDesign Discussions
jmartinarch

symbols - files

Post by jmartinarch »

Still using my trial version.
imported my titleblock ( a dwg file) . Massaged the text a bit. Saved it as a .dsn file. And also dreated a symbol out of it to (.hds)
started a new file, picked appropriate sheet. set scale 1:1. inserted the symbol 3422tblock.hds
All good.
created new sheet, and set scale to 1:48. Drew some walls, inserted a door added some text. Positioned it all in an appropriate place over the titleblock.
Printed (just for kicks ) turned out to be an easy task.
Saved.
Closed.
Re-opened the file and the 3422tblock symbol is just a rectangle with an X. What happened?

John

jmartinarch

Re: symbols - files

Post by jmartinarch »

Good morning
The plot thickens... I opened my test file (the same that the titleblock disappeared) and all geometry is invisible.
If i drag over the geometry I see the blue dots, but the actual geometry is not visible.
I tried new geometry, placed a rectangle. All seemed okay. Until I zoomed, then it went invisible.
What setting did I accidentally change?
In the view window it is all visible.
Please help.

thanks,
john

matthew.Stanfield

Post by matthew.Stanfield »

What your first post describes is HD not being able to find the symbol. This usually occurs when the name of the symbol is changed or it is not saved in the symbol library.

You can check the latter by double clicking on the symbol tool to bring up it's dialog box. You can use this dialog box to look through the HD library to make sure the titleblock file is in the library. If not, you will either need to move it to the library folder or add the folder it is in to the list of libraries.

As for the second post, i am not sure what would be going on there other than the obvious of making sure all the layers and sheets are set to visible.
matthew.Stanfield
Principal Architect
FiELD9: architecture
Mansfield, OHio
http://www.field9architecture.com

jmartinarch

Post by jmartinarch »

Just as you thought. I had the symbol in a separate "mydrawings" folder. Once I pointed to that folder it showed up again. I tried adding that folder to the library folder but wasn't successful.
It is probably good practice to put all my symbols in that particular library folder. It is just that it is under the HD app. folder. I am thinking it terms of backing up data. So I thought that putting data in a separate place from the application itself. (is that just windows and PC thinking?)
Thanks again for your help.
john

alexwhite

Post by alexwhite »

you can put all your symbols in one folder, where ever that wants to be - just point HD to the location. I don't believe you can point to separate libraries
fat guy in a little coat

matthew.Stanfield

Post by matthew.Stanfield »

alexwhite wrote:you can put all your symbols in one folder, where ever that wants to be - just point HD to the location. I don't believe you can point to separate libraries
I think you are correct about this. I was thinking i had multiple library folders, but i actually just have multiple folders within my library folder. Sorry about any confusion.
matthew.Stanfield
Principal Architect
FiELD9: architecture
Mansfield, OHio
http://www.field9architecture.com