trimming ellipses

General HighDesign Discussions
SurfingAlien

trimming ellipses

Post by SurfingAlien »

is it possible? I see it works with circles but it doesn't seem to work with ellipses... how can you draw elliptic arches (arcs?) then? hopefully not with bezier curves...

thanks in advance,
Alessandro

SurfingAlien

Re: trimming ellipses

Post by SurfingAlien »

I guess no answers is no good news in this case... at least I have not been able to trim these ellipses in any way

matthew.Stanfield

Post by matthew.Stanfield »

I do not know of any way to trim ellipses, but there is a tool to draw elliptical arcs. It is the last option in the circle tool set. It does seem to only do 1/4 arcs though. You can then use the object info window to adjust some of the parameters for greater control.
matthew.Stanfield
Principal Architect
FiELD9: architecture
Mansfield, OHio
http://www.field9architecture.com

SurfingAlien

Post by SurfingAlien »

thanks Matthew!

1/4 elliptical arcs + manual edit is a bit tricky (to say the least!) but I'm afraid it's the only way to do it in HD at the moment. if only you could adjust the angles dragging the ending points on the drawing like for circular arcs... I guess I'll have to do a lot of trial and error with values!

so "trimming ellipses" goes straight to the wish list section if it's not already there...

cheers,
Alessandro

Michel PM

Post by Michel PM »

Yeah,
I've been using more and more ellipses and elliptical arcs lately in some of the drawimgs I've been working on lately. Using the elliptical arcs, it's hard to edit to the exact intersections I need it to intersect to. And there is no way to trim a full ellipse either.
One other way I have done to overcome this issue if I am having a hard time with elliptical arcs is that I will draw a full ellipse of the major/minor arc that I need in a layer, by, itself.
I lock that layer, go back to layer I am working/drawing on and draw a Bezier curve as close as I can over the ellipse and try to match the exact arc shape and distance I need.
That's is the only other workaround that I found that works for me.
I am surprise that no fix has been issued for this all of this time, though.

Franco Giorgi

Post by Franco Giorgi »

But how can a cad is not possible to cut an ellipse?