grouping sheets?

General HighDesign Discussions
SurfingAlien

grouping sheets?

Post by SurfingAlien »

Hi!
I'm afraid it will be a no-no but just in case I'm missing something... is there a way to group sheets in order to organize and show/hide them together for printing purpose?

thanks,
Alessandro

matthew.Stanfield

Re: grouping sheets?

Post by matthew.Stanfield »

As far as i know, there is no way to group sheets per se. However, it is my understanding (and i have dabbled in this a bit, but not extensively), you can set up project views that include designated sheets and/or layers as visible or not. So you can set up the drawing at the zoom factor you want, which layers you want visible, and which sheets you want visible. At this point, you define a project view. Then each time you select that view, HD jumps to the view as you initially set it up. I believe you can also update the project view if you need to add or subtract sheets / layers from it.

I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, but i hope it helps.
matthew.Stanfield
Principal Architect
FiELD9: architecture
Mansfield, OHio
http://www.field9architecture.com

SurfingAlien

Post by SurfingAlien »

thanks Matthew,
it's a great help indeed. as soon as I heard you talking about "project views" a little bell started to ring in my head... which means I read about it somewhere (probably in the manual, when I first bought HD)
I will try that as soon as I get home later this afternoon and will let you know if it's what I was looking for.
BTW, I really like how HD lets me keep one entire project in a single .dsn file, switching on/off sheets (yes, I'm a single freelance architect and no, I don't make big projects atm... :( )

cheers,
Alessandro

SurfingAlien

Post by SurfingAlien »

me again...
I've searched both the manual and the menus but can't find anything regarding "project views"...?
[:confused:]

macitect

Post by macitect »

Hi Alessandro,

I have used Project Views to organise my projects for a long time. You simply turn on or off all the sheets and layers you require to create your "page" and then click on the little plus symbol on the bottom right of the Views palette.

cheers,
derek

SurfingAlien

Post by SurfingAlien »

macitect wrote:Hi Alessandro,

I have used Project Views to organise my projects for a long time. You simply turn on or off all the sheets and layers you require to create your "page" and then click on the little plus symbol on the bottom right of the Views palette.

cheers,
derek
ouch... it was right in front of my eyes!
exactly what I needed, thank you all!

cheers,
Alessandro

side note: do palettes get hidden (actually, they go behind the main window) for you too when you move between "Spaces" and then come back to HD?

SurfingAlien

Post by SurfingAlien »

bump on the "side note" question... I'm pretty sure it worked as expected at the beginning (was it under Leopard yet?) but now I find this very annoying.

anyone experienced the same issue or is it just me?

thanks,
Alessandro

matthew.Stanfield

SurfingAlien wrote:bump on the "side note" question... I'm pretty sure it worked as expected at the beginning (was it under Leopard yet?) but now I find this very annoying.

anyone experienced the same issue or is it just me?

thanks,
Alessandro
I do find this happens on occasion for me as well. It does not happen every time i switch between spaces, but frequently enough that i have become quite aware of it. While it is a minor inconvenience, i find that clicking on the desktop and then back on the HD window brings the palettes back.
matthew.Stanfield
Principal Architect
Mansfield, OHio

SurfingAlien

Post by SurfingAlien »

matthew.Stanfield wrote:I do find this happens on occasion for me as well. It does not happen every time i switch between spaces, but frequently enough that i have become quite aware of it. While it is a minor inconvenience, i find that clicking on the desktop and then back on the HD window brings the palettes back.
it happens all the times for me. your desktop trick works indeed (never noticed because I usually have the main HD window maximized...) thanks!

matthew.Stanfield

Glad i could be of help. I do not keep my main window maximized because i do not like to have to move palettes around to get to my work. I prefer to have the main window reduced in size so the palettes sit on the right side of the screen. This also helps because i then have a swath of the desktop showing whenever the palettes decide to not show up when switching between spaces.
matthew.Stanfield
Principal Architect
Mansfield, OHio