Paste one object inside another

General HighDesign Discussions
claudiaescaleira

Paste one object inside another

Post by claudiaescaleira »

Hello,

I'am currently using the trial version of HD to use it to my architectural work.

I've been trying pro features like working with sheets, project views, print areas, etc and so far I've been capable of redefining a new workflow (I come from ACAD).

Nevertheless, I'am missing a "crop" command or, even better, a "paste inside"/"clip" command like there are in other vectorial softwares.
For example, in freehand, coreldraw or scribus, it's possible to paste an object inside another - I can copy a complex object ou group of objects (call it object A) and paste it inside of a rectangle or any other object (Object B) so that I can only see from A what's inside of B.

Thus anyone knows if there is such a tool inside HD?

macitect

Re: Paste one object inside another

Post by macitect »

If I understand correctly you're essentially talking about a boolean, which unfortunately does not yet exist in HD. Unless someone know otherwise.

Hopefully it will come in the next update (which I suspect will be out soon...).

matthew.Stanfield

Post by matthew.Stanfield »

The "paste inside" feature, at least in Freehand, is not exactly a boolean operation as the all the data of the object that is pasted is still available for editing and can be repositioned with in the boundary. It essentially acts as a masking function.

That being said, it would be helpful to know exactly what claudiaescaleira is trying to accomplish to try and determine the best course of action. For instance if the goal is simply output to a printer, i believe Print Areas may be able to accomplish essentially the same thing. Although they are limited to rectangles.
matthew.Stanfield
Principal Architect
FiELD9: architecture
Mansfield, OHio
http://www.field9architecture.com

SurfingAlien

Post by SurfingAlien »

interesting... it could be also a sort of workaround until bitmap tileable fillings are implemented (i mean paste an image and "filter" it through a polygonal "layer mask")

cheers,
Alessandro

claudiaescaleira

Post by claudiaescaleira »

Hello,

What I had in mind with this post is something like the one matthew.Stanfield described as the mask tool in Freehand.
The "paste inside" feature, at least in Freehand, is not exactly a boolean operation as the all the data of the object that is pasted is still available for editing and can be repositioned with in the boundary. It essentially acts as a masking function.
I believe there is something similar in Archidad (the detail tool) and in ACAD ("viewports"). It would allow to create details of specif parts of a project that need to be in the same page when printed.
A mask/clip/detail function would allow not having to draw a second time or not have to "crop" excedent information from a copied drawing and, in any circunstances, beeing able to ajust the shape and size of the limit of the detail just by simply moving the dots of the boundary.

The problem with print areas is that it only allows rectangles and you can only have one detail for page.

I don't know if it is more clear. And please forgive my english.

Thanks for your answers.

matthew.Stanfield

Post by matthew.Stanfield »

Unfortunately, i do not know of any way to accomplish what you are asking. The "viewport" feature is the one thing i miss after having switched from AutoCAD. It is nice to be able only have one drawing to change and yet have multiple uses of it.

Maybe, something like a "paste inside" command, or even boolean commands should be added to the wishlist for future releases.
matthew.Stanfield
Principal Architect
FiELD9: architecture
Mansfield, OHio
http://www.field9architecture.com