How to match grid and ruler spacing

General HighDesign Discussions
David

How to match grid and ruler spacing

Post by David »

I am a VERY basic user of this fine program, so please forgive me if this seems to be rather trivial. I use it for doing simple geometric drawings, as I tutor mathematics, payment being in the form of a cheque for cancer research. [Actually, I'll be passing the torch on that, but want to also include as much as I have learned on this and other useful software for the next person to benefit.] Also, I am presently battling a serious illness, so I don't have a lot of time to spend looking for what others would think I should find easily for myself. The truth is, I can't. I have helped others for many years with things I do know in other forums, so I do appreciate any help given here in return.

The problem:
All I want is to be able to set the grid to 1/4" [0.25"] spacing in both directions. This I can do, I think. However, the grid lines do not come close to matching the tick spacing of the rulers. How then do I set the tick spacing of the rulers to 1/4"? Presently, they do not match at all. If they did, I would be able to use the rulers to advantage when drawing lines. As it is, I have to more or less guess the dimension. I do realise I can type it in from the keyboard after typing L for length, or whatever, but, being somewhat visual, I would also like to be able to use the ruler as if it were a tape measure.

Thank you. I will try to upload a small screen capture if this is not clear.

David.