newbie with 1.8.5 questions

General HighDesign Discussions
Roy

newbie with 1.8.5 questions

Post by Roy »

Hi all,
I have been using the Professional Trial Version of 1.8.5 and a few questions on items I can not figure out.

Mac OSX version 10.5.? with intel

1) Snaps: I have not been able to the snap function to work properly. Example: Trying to start a line from some point other than the ends and then connecting it to another line to create perpendicular intersection.

1a) Same problem with dimensions. I could not get the dimensions to reference a point on a line.

I have clicked on the snap icon and the nearest point on line as well as the snap to perpendicular buttons.

2) Where are the included symbols librairies hidden? They opened once and I have not been able to find them since. I have performed multiple searches and can not find them anywhere.

So far I have managed to get all of the other features I have tried to work.

I intend to buy this program tonight so if some of these features are not included in the "Trial" version please let me know that also.

Have not tried making any elevation drawings yet so there will probably be lots more questions.

thanks

Roy

alexwhite

Re: newbie with 1.8.5 questions

Post by alexwhite »

welcome to the forum and HD

If you are in "Line" mode, select the snap icon at the top left of the window and select the auto snaps -- then when drawing, you should be able to activate these without additional commands.

You can also force snaps, like for perpendicular snaps, there is an existing line and you've started a new line...

1. Type "R" to start the perpendicular snap routine
2. You'll get the pointer cursor as you Select the first line you want to snap perpendicular to,
3. Then continue the rest of the second line completion by clicking on the first line.

I believe the default symbols are loaded in a folder within the application folder. This location can be shown and changed in the Symbols dialog box -- click on the gear in the lower left hand corner.
fat guy in a little coat

Roy

Post by Roy »

Alex,
thanks for the reply. I have used up my trial time so now I have to wait until I get the start-up code from Ilexsoft.

I never noticed the "auto-snap" feature.

I noticed tonight that the walls would not join. I had this working on a previous drawing so I presume this is another setting to locate.

darn rookies :D

Another PICNIC (Problem In Chair, Not In Computer)

Roy

Roy

Post by Roy »

alexwhite wrote:welcome to the forum and HD

If you are in "Line" mode, select the snap icon at the top left of the window and select the auto snaps -- then when drawing, you should be able to activate these without additional commands.

You can also force snaps, like for perpendicular snaps, there is an existing line and you've started a new line...

1. Type "R" to start the perpendicular snap routine
2. You'll get the pointer cursor as you Select the first line you want to snap perpendicular to,
3. Then continue the rest of the second line completion by clicking on the first line.

I believe the default symbols are loaded in a folder within the application folder. This location can be shown and changed in the Symbols dialog box -- click on the gear in the lower left hand corner.
Alex, I don't have a gear in the lower left corner of my screen nor can I find HD or the symbols librairies in the applications folder. Possible incorrect install....

Since I am some what MAC illiterate I am a little nervous about considering reinstalling HD. First reason not sure how to attempt this and second reason I don't want to corrupt what I already have.

Any experts out there with some advice?

thanks

Roy

SurfingAlien

Post by SurfingAlien »

Hi Roy

I confirm the default lib is in .../Application/HighDesign 1.8.5 universal/Symbol Library; if you don't see it maybe you've unintentionally moved/removed it... try the search engine.
The "gear" icon is in the Symbol Library menu which appears when you double-click the "library" icon in the toolset.
If this doesn't solve the problem there's no need to reinstall: simply re-open your HighDesign .dmg archive: it contains the entire HD folder, open it and here you are the default Symbol Library folder (copy it to your original location)

hope it helps,
cheers,
Alessandro

Roy

Post by Roy »

Alessandro,

I did multiple searches and can't find the symbols library or the Highdesign.dmg folder. Since all other parts of the program appear to working I know it is here some where. I am going to keep digging. For some reason I find that a MAC is very hard to navigate through files.

thanks

Roy

alexwhite

Post by alexwhite »

sounds like you're still running the demo off the disk image "dmg" and perhaps never copied the application to your HD? maybe?
fat guy in a little coat

Roy

Post by Roy »

Alex,
this could be possible, problem is HD accepted the install code once so if I try and download another copy will it allow me to use the code again? I think I am going to have to e-maill the mothership for some help on this..

Thanks
Roy

SurfingAlien

Post by SurfingAlien »

are you saying you don't have a "HighDesign 1.8.5 Universal" folder in your Application folder? if so then Alex should be right... you never install it correctly.

I may be wrong but I guess HD stores your license info somewhere in your disk in a file that is not related to where your HigDesign.app is or run from. So I'd try this: open your .dmg archive (the file you downoladed from ilexsoft - it's the HDpro demo) copy the whole HighDesign folder in your Application folder; run HighDesign.app from there (the copied folder in Application)... it should be able to read the license info in your hard drive without any problem. Otherwise ask the Ilexsoft support, I always got quick and clean answers from them...

cheers,
A

Roy

Post by Roy »

A.
problem is I can't find the demo folder either. All I can find when doing searches is the icon for HD. Click on it for info and it gives me a path that leads me back to the icon. Says the file is an application.

I e-mailed tech support at HD so will wait and see what there response is.

probably start out with "you Idiot" you should have done...... :)

Merry Christmas

and thanks for all the help

Roy

Roy

This problem is solved

Post by Roy »

To those of you that stated HD was either installed incorrectly or was corrupt give your selves a pat on the back. HD Tech support replied with the same answer. To my surprise I received the back-up CD today and reinstalled HD. It now appears to have the symbols libraries and that part of the problem is solved. NOTE: On my other post about about HD locked up is still valid.

thanks to all and merry Christmas

Roy

SurfingAlien

Post by SurfingAlien »

nice to hear you solved your major prob, Roy

when a new version of HD will be out and you will download it from Ilexsoft web site remember to simply drag n' drop the whole HighDesign folder from the .dmg archive to you Application folder... too simple to be true if, like me, you switched from Win/Linux to OSX quite recently :wink:

Merry Xmas and happy New Year!

Alessandro

Roy

Post by Roy »

SurfingAlien wrote:nice to hear you solved your major prob, Roy

when a new version of HD will be out and you will download it from Ilexsoft web site remember to simply drag n' drop the whole HighDesign folder from the .dmg archive to you Application folder... too simple to be true if, like me, you switched from Win/Linux to OSX quite recently :wink:

Merry Xmas and happy New Year!

Alessandro
Alessandro,
I already had to do an upgrade from the CD. CD was version 1.8.4 not 1.8.5. Not sure why the CD wasn't current but that is another subject. I drug both folders to the "application" folder and they worked. Question can version 1.8.4 be removed if the hard drive gets to full?

Yes I have only using OSX for 11 months and still use WinDoze at work. The Mac is my personal computer and my wife and I are looking into either adding on to our existing home or building complete new home. This is the reason for purchasing HD. So far, other than some minor problems between Auto-Cad and HD I am very happy with HD.

Roy

alexwhite

Post by alexwhite »

Glad you got it worked out.

Before you drag the 1.8.4 folder to the trash (that is a way to make space), make sure the symbol library folder is pulled out IF you've added your own symbols. You can put this back in the 1.8.5 folder then if you want.

I actually keep my symbols in another location all together that is backed up with Time Machine -- so its consistent and isn't forgotten.
fat guy in a little coat