High Design with Sketchup

General HighDesign Discussions
redinhawaii

High Design with Sketchup

Post by redinhawaii »

I do my modeling in SketchUp, but it falls short in the 2d work.
it seems I can get 80% of the way there.
So I need a supportive 2d software. Might High Design work well with SketchUp,
and is anyone using this combination to produce residential working drawings?
thanks
aloha
red

alexwhite

Re: High Design with Sketchup

Post by alexwhite »

these apps play well together everyday for me.
fat guy in a little coat

macitect

Post by macitect »

Hi Red,

I rec'd your email and will send you a more complete answer later, but in the meantime I can tell you that yes, we use SU extensively for concept development and HD for all our working drawings. I go back and forth extensively and find that they do compliment each other.

cheers,
derek

SurfingAlien

Post by SurfingAlien »

Hi folks!

I sometimes use HD .dxf to make SU models starting from the groundfloor but how do you export from SU to HD?

thank you!
cheers,
Alessandro

redinhawaii

Post by redinhawaii »

Yes, I am just learning HD, and did a 3d model in SU, saved the plan and some elevations.
I went to import them into HD, and did not find a clear way to do that.
Any suggestions?
And which is the most efficient workflow, I do most of the model in 3d, including windows, doors, trim, some details, and then finish the 2d drafting part in HD...if it will translate.
thanks
aloha
red

macitect

Post by macitect »

Red - The easiest way I've found bring drawings from SU to HD is the following: set your camera in SU to PARALLEL PROJECTION, choose your view then do an EXPORT > 2D GRAPHIC and choose dwg or dxf.

As far as the import process goes, you just open your dwg/dxf with HD and when asked, set scale to 1:1 and check the box to "Set units from file". Once in HD you can change the units via your prefs and scale the sheet to whichever scale you want. With elevations and sections there is a fair amount of cleanup work to be done, but it's not too bad. (Use the "find" and "delete duplicates" tools liberally.)

For plans, because I like working with the wall tool in HD, what I normally do is import them, group them and then trace over top with the wall tool and then add my windows and doors.

My own workflow is the normally this: conceptual 3D in SU, then I detail it out in HD, then go back to SU and the detail for the client to see and maybe do some renderings if worthwhile. I find it's actually easier to go from 2D to 3D if I want an accurate model...

Let me know if there is any other information that might be helpful to you...

cheers,
derek

SurfingAlien

Post by SurfingAlien »

Thank you Derek!
this helps me a lot... i'm loving HD more and more every day and i'd like to add SU to my workflow. i sometimes make simple things with the free version but i'm not sure if it's worth to buy pro (like bonzai3d too, for the same price... or free SU+ViaCAD pro for a half)

Cheers,
Alessandro

P.S.: saw you on Cheetah3D forum too? :wink:

alexwhite

Post by alexwhite »

another SU to HD routine is to create a section slice and export the slice as a dwg/dxf.... nice for instant wall or building or plan sections/drawings depending on your section plane.
fat guy in a little coat

redinhawaii

Post by redinhawaii »

Well, I create a single model in SketchUp, then drop the model into a LayOut,
I quickly generate elevations, sections and details in LayOut.
Where it "falls apart" is in the dimensioning, linked notes / schedules and detailings.
So can you "import" this fairly completed orthographic views into HighDesign and "finish" them there? If I just drop in single examples, i.e. just the plan view I do not capture the full efficiency of SU/LO combination. Does anyone do this work flow?
thanks
aloha
red
p.s. thanks for all of the experienced perspectives too

macitect

Post by macitect »

Hi red,

There is no simple way to do what you're hoping to do, unfortunately. The closest would be if you want to invest money and time into either archicad or vectorworks - both of which do the full 3D/2D thing very well (although for preliminary design studies etc, forget it...).

I have tried to use SU for full arc sets, but have found that either my expertise falls well short, or that the LAYOUT solution just isn't ready for prime time. However, I just recently stumbled upon a site where the guy claims to be doing what you want to do (use SU for full arc drawings sets). Check it out at : http://www.viewsion.ie

Hope that helps.

On a side note I have imported full colour elevations from SU as scaled TIFFs and dimensioned them in HD before and it works pretty well.

redinhawaii

Post by redinhawaii »

Derek and all,
Thanks for the reply, and experienced feedback,
the version of LayOut matters, I think 2 is much better but with no dimensioning of yet.
Sketchup was enough of a learning curve, I am freaked out at jumping into Vectorworks or Archicad. Plus as you say once I have modeled and rendered in SU the other programs look inferior.
That is the intrigue of HighDesign, hopefully a good 3d/2d mix.
I will try the tiff route.
I just need to play with the SU/HD work flow to understand the most efficient methods.
Another challenge I see is in the so called strength of computer models, is in the changes.
I can make the changes pretty easily in SU, but a 2d line drawing is just that...it will not "link" and update the model and the drawings both.
On a side note:
What is your SU/HD work flow?
Is the model first created in plan in HD then imported to SU to be modeled?
and back to HD to finish,
as I am on the schematics on a new project, a small house, I will be modeling the initial schematics in SU, it seems easier, as I can create options too. Typically, plans, elevations, a couple of sections.
If the schematics are accepted I do the working drawings, and the building department only wants "orthographic" plans, no perspectives. But if there are changes, i.e. from the building department, the owner or the contractor then...back to the model and then the 2d, double work if they are both to stay current.
So is SU more just a modeling tool rather than an integral part of your design presentations or is HD more of a 2d back up for the 3d model?
When is the logical time to go into HD, within the design process?
And are the programers at HD working with SU to combine or collaborate?
Regarding viewsion.ie. I have been in touch with them and the issues I bring up are issues for them too, and as you can see on their website, the drawings done are high end renderings, or good perspectives with details but lack robustness, detail and schedule links that are needed in true working drawings...though they are headed in a right direction.
thanks
aloha
red

Then do some renderings, if that all works

macitect

Post by macitect »

Welcome, Sir Red, to the quest for the Holy Grail... :wink:
(...for the ultimate architectural workflow tool.)

Here's a rough breakdown of how we do it at Krebs Design Group:
Working drawings - 2D 100%.
Presentation drawings - 80% 2D / 20% 3D
Initial design - 50% sketching by hand / 15% 2D / 35% 3D

As far as I am concerned 3D serves 2 purposes (especially with SketchUp); sketching ideas immediately in 3D and convincing the client. Once the initial concept is approved by client we go pretty much full steam ahead with 2D as it is by far the easiest way to add all the necessary information for building departments, contractors etc. I think that a properly built 3D would go a long way in communicating with contractors, but clients don't normally want to pay the extra for that work - permits are all issued based on fairly strict guidelines on what is represented and how (at least here - the plan checkers don't normally like anything out of their comfort zone...).

So the best time to switch from 3D to 2D? Probably when you've got the model to the point where any other information would just be decoration. After that, if things change I would personally do it in 2D and only change the model if either the client absolutely wanted to see the change in 3D or if you wanted to upgrade the model for your own portfolio.

I'm going to send you a project where I used the images from SU for elevations at the presentation phase and then all 2D for the working drawings.

Hope this continues to help you with your decision.

cheers,
derek

redinhawaii

Post by redinhawaii »

Derek,
thanks for the thoughtful and informative reply.
I look forward to your 2d drawings and the chance to see how HighDesign can do on the 2d drawings coupled with 3d SketchUp.
much appreciated.
aloha
red
redinhawaii@gmail.com

macitect

Post by macitect »

Big files, but on their way to you now...