PDF output

General HighDesign Discussions
macitect

PDF output

Post by macitect »

I have a problem which isn't directly related to HD, but am hoping someone here might be able to offer some help.

We need to have our projects printed by commercial printers more and more often it seems. The best way to do this is to send them pdfs. However when I create pdfs from HD using the internal OSX pdf printer the pdfs cannot be printed properly by windows machines. The pdf export function seems to work alright, but my fonts get changed and it doesn't work so well with the way I've configured my files to use print areas and project views to lay out my physical sheets.

Anybody able to offer any insights?

Thanks

matthew.Stanfield

Re: PDF output

Post by matthew.Stanfield »

I have had trouble getting prints from commercial printers as well. But my problem is related to lineweights, not fonts. The prints come out extremely light to the point where some of the lines are not visible at all. The local printer i use has gotten around this problem by printing directly from Adobe Acrobat rather than using the print server they would normally use. The prints still come out lighter than when i print them at home, but they are readable.

I have never had the fonts get changed though. I have had experience with fonts being changed in other programs though, and it is not fun. If you open the PDFs on your Mac, are the fonts ok? Or are they changed in the process of making the PDF? Are you using fonts that may be not be standard on window's machines? You may need to figure out a way to embed the fonts in the PDF. I cannot remember off the top of my head how this is done, but i do remember seeing that option somewhere, though it may have been in Adobe Acrobat.
matthew.Stanfield
Principal Architect
FiELD9: architecture
Mansfield, OHio
http://www.field9architecture.com

macitect

Post by macitect »

Thanks for the response, Matthew.

To create your PDFs are you using the export function or the print function?

matthew.Stanfield

Post by matthew.Stanfield »

I use the print function.
matthew.Stanfield
Principal Architect
FiELD9: architecture
Mansfield, OHio
http://www.field9architecture.com