linetype position

General HighDesign Discussions
matthew.Stanfield

linetype position

Post by matthew.Stanfield »

Is there a way to control the start point of a linetype?

For instance, i would like the ends of a line that is made up of combination of dash / dot widths to end the way it begins. I would be useful if the line automatically adjusted to accomplish this. But short of that ability, i would like to center the linetype along the length of the line so that it is the same at both ends.

Andrew
Site Admin

Re: linetype position

Post by Andrew »

Hi Matthew,

Dash patterns in a line always start on point 1 and continue with the same length of dash and gap as set by their line type. The endpoints are adjusted to have solid endings on both sides.

The pattern you described would require a different method of tracing dashed lines - i.e. an interpolation that would adjust the length of dash and gaps according to the length of the line in order to have the same sequence on both ends.

I suppose we could add this in the future, but it would be better if we knew where (or why) it would be required, such as specific requirements or graphical conventions. An example of a drawing that uses this kind of dashed lines would also help. That would make it easier for us to decide the best way to implement it.

matthew.Stanfield

Re: linetype position

Post by matthew.Stanfield »

My specific example is in the attached framing plan. I am showing headers over the window openings with linetype 16 which is a small double long dash / short dash line. The problem for me is most apparent on the smaller windows where there is only one short dash and it is way off to one side making the linetype hard to identify. This is not a critical problem for me, as i can simply pick a different linetype that graphically looks better. I just thought it would be nice to be able to have the line "start" at the center so the dashes would be symmetrical around said center.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
matthew.Stanfield
Principal Architect
FiELD9: architecture
Mansfield, OHio
http://www.field9architecture.com