Layered walls?

General HighDesign Discussions
marr

Layered walls?

Post by marr »

Is it at all possible to make set up the wall tool to make a layerd wall? For example 200mm concrete (hatched in black) and 100mm insulation?

macitect

Re: Layered walls?

Post by macitect »

hey marr,

nope, unfortunately this is not available (yet?). if you were to make it a wish-list item I am pretty sure you would find others share that desire...

marr

Post by marr »

Thanks Macitect.
Do you find the the tool useful despite this limitation? I would think it's only useful in the sketch-phase but as soon as you start making CD you have to redraw it with lines. I'll post it as a request.

macitect

Post by macitect »

What kind of project are you drawing?

I find it immensely useful and I use it for all my projects. Mostly though, I don't draw the plans at a scale that warrants using wall composition, so I leave that to the detail pages... (or spec schedules...). Normally I stick to 1/4"=1' (or 1:50) scale.

I have a couple beefs, like no support for curved walls and occasionally windows and doors can behave very erratically when extending/trimming walls, unfortunately they are more regularly erratic when stretching walls (a tool I love and use A LOT!!! ;-). Other then that I love walls because they allow for the use of the windows and doors tool which is a real time-saver.

marr

Post by marr »

Well the problem is that here (in Iceland) people usually expect you to show the wall in a little more detail for planning application, even at a 1:100 scale. More detail really only means to show whether the insulation is outside or inside, so In my case, black fill for the concrete and no fill for the insulation. Also the lack of corner windows (unless I'm missing something obvious) is a limitation. Of course I can draw this all with lines (like I do at work with AutoCad) But some additional funcionality would really make this tool shine.

macitect

Post by macitect »

Well I know that workarounds are never as satisfying as having tools that do exactly what you need/want them to do, but nevertheless here are 2 workarounds for composite walls and corner windows.
Picture 7.png
For the wall I constructed the walls, then traced around them with a polyline and offset it. Once I had given the polyline my desired attributes I exploded it so that all the lines/walls could be manipulated separately.

Instead of explaining the corner window (which is really too simple) I've enclosed the file.
walls-windows.dsn.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

marr

Post by marr »

Thanks, that seems like an acceptable workaround for now, I hope they improve this though.

Cheers