Styles

General HighDesign Discussions
peatle

Styles

Post by peatle »

Is anyone else having problems with the Save/Load feature of Styles ?

I have created Styles and 'Saved' them but when I 'Load' them into another project some of the attributes are changing e.g. In a Linear Dimension 'Style', what were 'Slash' line ends are changing to 'Arrowheads'.

I've sent a couple of files in to iLexsoft and they have concurred that it is a bug somewhere but I haven't heard back from them for while.

Is anyone deeply in to using styles and might have a workaround for this.

Peter

macitect

Re: Styles

Post by macitect »

Hi Peter,

I use styles quite a bit and have had a few different problems. Saving them and loading them into other projects hasn't worked for me well at all, so I've just resorted to making them in every file - even though they're the same.

As for the ilexsoft guys, I think they're getting sick of us... :shock: (hope not...)
Seriously though they're probably taking some time on the beach or in the mountains. These europeans do love their vacation time... :wink: :D

peatle

Post by peatle »

A little quicker option to recreating your styles in each new file would be to Load your Styles into the file and 'Modify' them to change any of the attributes ( properties ) that have loaded incorrectly.

'Modify Style' is found in the drop down menu that appears when you click the arrow that appears when you move the cursor,into the box, at the right hand end of the Style name in the Styles list.

N.B. - You have to have the example of that particular 'Style' SELECTED when you correct the attributes and hit 'Modify Style'.

Peter

kohledfusion

Re: Styles - multiple dimension

Post by kohledfusion »

Has anyone been able to save a style with the *multiple* linear dimension (MLD) tool? I select MLD, then create a style with tool specific properties, yet the style reverts to (single) linear dimension.

I use multiple dimensioning a lot more than single dimensions. If there's a trick to MLD styles, I'm all ears!

:) Erin
Pahoa, HI

* Architectural Drafting & Design * Metal Art *
* Custom Quilts * Web Design and Programming *

macitect

Post by macitect »

Same problem with the oval tool. I was using it for some revisions (as there is still no revision cloud tool... HINT HINT) and set up a style and when I went to use it it kept defaulting to regular circle.

Incidentally the behaviour was the same when I +click the ovals - instead of picking up the oval tool it kept giving me regular circle tool...

peatle

Post by peatle »

I have been able to create a Linear Chain ("Multiple") Dimension 'style'.
Sometimes when creating a 'style' it seems to be working wrong but on going back and checking it's properties I find that I have got one thing not selected correctly for what I want it to do.

I am having problems with the following though .......
If I have used a 'style' e.g. a Linear Dimension that has slashes for line ends, and then I switch to using a plain line to draw with, sometimes the slashes are being retained. I have to change to a plain line in the 'line type' control or option-click on a line of the type that I want.

Peter

macitect

Post by macitect »

peatle wrote: I am having problems with the following though .......
If I have used a 'style' e.g. a Linear Dimension that has slashes for line ends, and then I switch to using a plain line to draw with, sometimes the slashes are being retained. I have to change to a plain line in the 'line type' control or option-click on a line of the type that I want.

Peter
For me that is constant behaviour recently... and I don't think it is limited to after I've used a style, but I will confirm that...

kohledfusion

Post by kohledfusion »

I can confirm. This definitely happens even if you are not using styles.

I have only tried to work with styles on three occasions. I've had trouble every time & completely deleted styles. They aren't in my workflow at all normally, but I get the lingering arrow/marker when I go from dimensions to lines.

Giving styles another shot today...I'll let you know if that increases the frequency of the dim to line arrow/marker problem.
Pahoa, HI

* Architectural Drafting & Design * Metal Art *
* Custom Quilts * Web Design and Programming *

Andrew
Site Admin

Post by Andrew »

Thanks guys, this discussion was really helpful! We found what caused the whole "styles-don't-remember-their-properties" problem and fixed it right away!

Update coming.

peatle

Post by peatle »

Hmmmmm .... looks like I might have been jumping to conclusions by associating the 'Line End Thing' with Styles ... it really is a workflow stopper though.

Hopefully this update will solve it ... thanks for addressing this so quickly Andrerw.

Peter

Andrew
Site Admin

Post by Andrew »

peatle wrote:Hmmmmm .... looks like I might have been jumping to conclusions by associating the 'Line End Thing' with Styles ... it really is a workflow stopper though
Could it be caused by the 'Copy Properties' (opt-click) command? We have reproduced that behaviour by copying the attibutes of a dimension and then using the Line tool. The line showed the same arrowheads as the dimension.

peatle

Post by peatle »

That would definitely produce the same result but I wonder why I have only recently noticed experiencing this..... since using styles I think !

I guess that after I have used a style and then selecting the line tool, the properties of the line ( eg dimension line 'ends' ) are retained and exhibited in the new line that I create. In this case, it means that to 'Cancel' all properties of that style, I have to either select 'None' in the styles pallette or option-click on a linetype that I want to use ( if available ) ......????

Peter