troubleshooting with .dwg import

General HighDesign Discussions
jespizua

troubleshooting with .dwg import

Post by jespizua »

hello,
I´m new to highdesign, and first of all i would like to say that is a really nice piece of software. But when working with .dwg imported files is really difficult. The problem is that after import a file the software suffer a big slow down and that makes the file almost unusable. NO matter if i turn off antialias option. And the files are not so big. If i open that files within archicad or illustrator no problems at all.
Also when generating .dwg from illustrator, high design translate in a wrong way, no problems if i open it within archicad. I´m using an early 2008 pro with nvidia 8800 and 6 gigas ram.

Maybe i am making something wrong, any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance and cheers.

josé

Andrew
Site Admin

Re: troubleshooting with .dwg import

Post by Andrew »

Hi José and welcome to the HighDesign community!

In our experience, DXF/DWG import can vary a lot from file to file. Most of the times, the imported drawings are accurate and snappy. During the development of HighDesign 1.8, we did several tests with a very large DWG file, the master plan of a city, and it was imported in 2 and a half minutes whereas VW 2008 and other CAD packages did it in 15 minutes or did not import at all. Redrawing was comparable to the other programs.

Some other files may present a few problems, and for several reasons. The first thing you should check are drawing units. If you import a file with the wrong units, some items, especially texts, can be scaled and be either too large or too small, and that can pose problems with snap and redraw.
Some drawings may include duplicate items or polygons with a huge number of segments. Try using the Delete Duplicate Items command under the Tools menu.
Also, the problem you experience might be depend on your use of the scroll wheel to zoom in and out, to which the Zoom tool could be a better substitute in larger drawings.

If none of the above seems to help, then it would be very helpful if you could send us the DWG file as an email attachment, so we can look into it.

jespizua

Re: troubleshooting with .dwg import

Post by jespizua »

Thanks Andrew for the quick reply
Andrew wrote: The first thing you should check are drawing units. If you import a file with the wrong units, some items, especially texts, can be scaled and be either too large or too small, and that can pose problems with snap and redraw.
Yes, i´ve noted that this is a key factor within highdesign, but with some imported .dwg files i´m experimenting just the opposite, i mean, after import with the correct scale highdesign get into an slow down when trying to pan,move...... But with wrong units no problem at all.
Another thing is, does highdesign support imported bezier´s lines ?, because when i import that, the lines are converted to polylines with lots of point.

I will send you that files for testing but i want to test a bit more, maybe i´m still doing something wrong.

Thanks for you support,

josé