Jpeg Quality

General HighDesign Discussions
Tony

Jpeg Quality

Post by Tony »

Am a newbie to HighDesign and am having problems with inserting
a jpeg and keeping its quality.
I have managed to insert the image but whatever way I scale it down
to fit the page the image becomes blurred.
What am I doing wrong, anybody got any suggestions?

macitect

Re: Jpeg Quality

Post by macitect »

Hi Tony,

I've had issues with jpegs before. Ilexsoft recommended me to use TIFF format. It is heavier but the quality is much better! Make sure that your resolution is 150dpi or higher.

Another thing to remember is that any zoom factor above 100% in HD, the image will start looking pixelated - this is normal. If you use tiff (or png) and you have 150dpi or more it will print absolutely fine.

Hope that helps, and welcome to the forums.

cheers,
macitect
Last edited by macitect on Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tony

Post by Tony »

Hi macitect

Thanks for that, will try it.

Tony

Andrew
Site Admin

Post by Andrew »

Hi Tony and welcome to the Ilexsoft forums!

When you scale down an image, of any format, the pixels that make up the original image have to be rearranged to fit the new size. Since the pixel itself cannot be resized, the final, resized image will end up having less pixels than the original. For example, an image 300 pixels wide and 200 pixels tall has 60,000 pixels. When you resize it by a 50%, it will only have 15,000 pixels, that is, 45,000 pixels less than the original. How to get rid of those extra pixels and still show the same image? Most algorithms use interpolation, which could be described as a blending of contiguous pixels: for instance, a square of nine pixels is reduced to one pixel whose color is the average of the other eight. The result is the same image, but with less detail, blurred. This is what you see in HighDesign when you scale down an image.

The blur effect is more visible when the original image is a JPEG, because images in this format are blurred already because of their compression.

To achieve the best results and preserve the maximum detail, as Macitect pointed out, you could use TIFF images at a resolution of 150 or 300 DPI.

stricher

Post by stricher »

dear andrew,

from my experience with vectorworks image scaling is working even with 72dpi pictures
they stay as crisp as they are when imported

it would be wonderful if you could implement this feature into highdesign

the drag and drop of images into the program is wonderful but if you would have to rework all pictures before this feature would loose all its charm and beauty

thank you vey much

best

philipp