TIP- copy/paste properties

General HighDesign Discussions
macitect

TIP- copy/paste properties

Post by macitect »

I'm really not sure what is worth sharing or not as I assume most people here know as much or more than I do about HD, but here is another little trick I use a lot...

If you like to copy paste object properties then you'll be familiar with the routine: choose object, press shift++C to copy the traits and then press shift++V to paste the traits to other objects.

In order to eliminate a step and some buttons, you can copy properties simply by pressing alt(option) and clicking on the object with the desired properties. Then continue with shift++V to apply.

Enjoy.

macitect

Post by macitect »

Forgot to add one of the main bonuses of this technique... you can pick up the properties from items on other sheets AND on locked layers!

kohledfusion

Post by kohledfusion »

:shock: I'm a very new user and I wasn't aware of this feature at all. I just took it for a test drive & it even copies the layer! Heck, I used your alt trick, then hit escape as an easy way to switch layers without using the pull down! This is really going to improve my efficiency.

I guess it's time for me to go back through the user manual now that I've mastered the basics - I'm obviously missing some really useful features.

Derek, thank you so much. If you ever teach a HD user class I'll sign up! :lol:
Pahoa, HI

* Architectural Drafting & Design * Metal Art *
* Custom Quilts * Web Design and Programming *

macitect

Post by macitect »

I should probably look at the manual at some point too...:wink:

I landed on this quite by accident. I use alt all the time (in case you're not aware by holding down alt you only select the items completely within your selection square). So I just happened to hit something before making my selection rectangle and voilà - happy is me!

alexwhite

Post by alexwhite »

kohled, your comments just turned on a light bulb. Now this may be something that the UPCOMING release will solve... :lol:

We've been asking for more floating windows for things like the layers pallette or drawing manager or line types. Until this feature exists, you could create a grouped object to represent the layers. Each rectangle is colored and located on a unique layer. Group the items and Alt+Click on the appropriate box to change layers... only downside is you would always need to move this object depending on its scale or where you're working on the drawing, or have multiple copies.

I tried this and it works.

I used to do something similiar for routine "L" snaps. I would draw several line segments for differing wall thicknesses (EG. one at 4.5" and one at 8") and have a duplicate set at right angles. So whenever I needed to duplicate a line at a common distance I would start the duplication and end on the reference line.

Long standing wishlist to have more User defined buttons, so if I typically offset walls at several common dimensions, I could click the button that corresponded to the required action and length...
fat guy in a little coat

steven

match properties

Post by steven »

I know I'm older than all of you combined.......
and yes I started in this business doing hand drafting -
Match Properties is an important command.....
As great as the computer is - my mind is quicker -
and for me, it's better to group and organize after the fact -
Isn't funny how each of us has tried or is willing to beat the "system" in
order to improve efficiency....
it should be easy to change the properties of an object or group.

kohledfusion

Post by kohledfusion »

Hmm, this really got me thinking - beat the system!!

I'm going to try this:
make a standard file with my standard layers. each layer has the line color/weight or wall, hatch, etc I always have on that layer. Save the document. Then start every new drawing with a copy of that doc. Or maybe merge it into every new doc as a seperate sheet.

I'll try this today with my new project & report back on how (if) it works well. Thanks for getting my brain rolling in a new direction!
Pahoa, HI

alexwhite

Post by alexwhite »

The default layers (with colors, etc) are a function of the Drawing Manager. In that you can select the default set for each new drawing and you don't necessarily need to use Merge.
fat guy in a little coat

kohledfusion

Post by kohledfusion »

Yeah, I have default layers with colors, but I'm thinking of making a master document that has something set up like this, then merge it:

* window/door layer with some of my standard doors /window sizes on it
* walls layer with my 2 standard wall sizes on it
* foundation layer with my common hatches, line weight2 & dashed line weight1 on it

then when I merge, I can alt-select on those items to immediately go to the right layer/tool/tool properties. Of course, this is all untested speculation :)
Pahoa, HI