PRINT AREAS

General HighDesign Discussions
macitect

PRINT AREAS

Post by macitect »

Does anyone here normally use PRINT AREAS? The way I set up my drawings I rarely (or never) use them. Now I am in a situation where they could be really useful, but here is my problem:

None of the presets fit onto the paper size they claim to be...
For example I am trying to print a 24x36 and so I've created a 24x36 print area, but in the print preview it needs (2) 24x36 sheets. So in order to use it I need first to make a rectangle 24x36 in real size and then offset (1/2 inch to be safe) and then make another non-standard print area by tracing the offset.

Is this the only way it works? Please tell me I am overlooking something and it is much simpler.

alexwhite

Post by alexwhite »

I use Print Areas every print... 1.7.1 HD

1. Select your printer and page size, orientation in Page Setup. For your example your plotter must have a 24x36 page size... select this page
2. Activate the Print Areas command
3. Click and drag the print area box. If 24x36 is a standard size, you will see this default option snap as you get close to this size.
4. End the selection on the appropriate snap. Name the Print Area
5. This snapped Print Area box should reflect your printer's margin's, page size and orientation.
6. Open Print Preview, select the named Print Area, and you should be able to print without scaling the drawing.

I remember several versions ago when the Print Area box actually selected the entire paper size and did not account for printer margins.

I now have a collection of symbol "title blocks" that have the Print Area corners located with Points... so upon inserting, I can place the title block symbol and have reference to where the margins are located with respect to the drawing.

Here is an example of dragging the print area and you can see the default "ASME B' end snap is lined up with the symbol point (lower right).

fat guy in a little coat

macitect

Post by macitect »

Thanks Alex!

I just followed your instructions and it works fine. I don't know what I was doing wrong in the first place now. I have created some custom size sheets with no borders for pdf output and it was one of these. No problem now.

By the way did you add the shadow to your image or is that default on the board now or is it part of your screen capture?

cheers,
derek

alexwhite

Post by alexwhite »

Glad its working for you!

Screen captured the only way I know how:

"Shift+Command+4"
Then "space bar" to select the window.
Then click.

Perhaps this is part of the board or something coming from 10.5.1

Alex
fat guy in a little coat

macitect

Post by macitect »

Now it isn't working again... I'll keep you posted if I manage to isolate the reason.

derek

sebG

Post by sebG »

I think I've got the same problem...I thought Print Areas were designed to print a little part of a big drawing, but when i draw an A4 print area to be able to print only a detail of a A1 project," print preview" show me 2 or 4 pieces of A4 paper (depending on Page Set up)...
I really don't understand what I am missing...

alexwhite

Post by alexwhite »

sebG two questions:

Are you positive your Print Area is not bigger than an A4 margin for your print?

Did you try to push the page to one in the Print Preview? Sometimes it reduces the drawing by some rediculous amount like 99.8%...
fat guy in a little coat

sebG

Post by sebG »

Well, it's true. When I reduce a little bit my Print Area, it works.
Like Andrew said in an old post, there are troubles with some printers. Then you have to use the snap frame as guide only and reduce your print area to print at 100%...
Thanks to you and all the others experienced users for your help on this forum.