autosave: layer & view meltdown

General HighDesign Discussions
kohledfusion

autosave: layer & view meltdown

Post by kohledfusion »

Hi all,
HD crashed on me & when I opened the autosaved drawing things were pretty messed up. Here's what I've found so far:
* all layers were duplicated (the second set was empty)
* my views were duplicated (the second set was not empty)
* many lines in a single layer were now triplicate!
* layers were missing from my views that had previously been working.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm on a brand new top of the line macbook pro, using 1.7.2

gratzi,
Erin

macitect

Post by macitect »

This unfortunately is standard autosave behaviour. I have meant to report it but on the couple of occasions it has happened to me I've been too panicked and not remembered...

How much info did you lose? I normally save the autosaved with a new name and then close it and go back right away to the original to see how much I lost. If it is a considerable amount then obviously keep the autosaved version.

The duplicated Project Views you'll have to erase manually, but for all the lines that have been duplicated there is: TOOLS>REMOVE DUPLICATE ITEMS... very handy. As for the layers... frustrating indeed. Don't know what to tell you on that one as I can't remember how I managed.

For the guys at Ilexsoft - this is not isolated. Please look into it.

cheers

Andrew
Site Admin

Post by Andrew »

macitect wrote:For the guys at Ilexsoft - this is not isolated. Please look into it.
That is painful, we'll definitely look into it! Is it a 1.7.2-only issue or did you experience in older versions too?

macitect

Post by macitect »

Yes, older versions too. Definitely 1.7.1, but how much further I am not sure...

I'll look into my email archives because it coincided with some other things I was emailing you about so I'll check the dates against version history.

kohledfusion

remove dupe items doesn't work for this problem

Post by kohledfusion »

i have tried remove duplicate item in this instance but it doesn't work. It definitely 'thinks' for a long time, as though it is finding & removing a lot of duplicate items, but I still have dupe or triplicate lines after removing dupes.

i was in the same boat...it happened a few times, but i was too panicked to repair the damage to report it on the forum :) it only seems to happen right before a big deadline.

I'm doing the same repairs of manually deleting the extra empty layers, manually deleting the duplicate views, then re-mapping of which layers really belong in my view sets. removing & finding dupe lines is the worst one tho - i have to select with a bounding box & see how many objects HD finds. i kinda pick my way thru each portion of the drawing, count how many lines I *see* then compare that to how many lines HD finds...then slowly delete dupe overlayed lines.

ilexsoft folks, I may have one of my autosaves that i did not fiddle with. Would that help to have a file that's wonky & I have not touched? if so let me know how to send it to you.

:Erin