Unicode Characters

General HighDesign Discussions
peatle

Unicode Characters

Post by peatle »

I have used a couple of Unicode Characters, from the Mac 'Character Palette', to represent Back to Back Steel Angles in a text description.

The characters insert and print OK but when the file is saved they are replaced by question marks. Does HD have a problem saving these characters ?

Peter

macitect

Post by macitect »

Hi peatle,

I have had this same issue. Do you have anti-aliasing enabled under the DRAWING>VIEW menu? I also use ± and Ø often and if anti-aliasing is not turned on then they are replaced with question marks.

I have noticed on a couple occasions that if I turn off a-a and turn it back on sometimes the question mark remains, but it has not happened enough for me to decipher whether it is font or character related.

Let me know if this helps.

cheers,
derek

peatle

Post by peatle »

Tried a different pair of Unicode Characters ?? aswell as ? and Øø and turned off Anti Alias. Everything but the two Diameter symbols changed to question marks and reappeared correctly when I turned Anti Alias back on.

The diameter symbols of course are entered directly from the keyboard not from Character Palette.

I saved and reopened and the characters returned correctly and did so after I shut down HD altogether. I'll have to try this all again with the original 2 Unicode Characters that I used when time permits.

Peter

peatle

Post by peatle »

Well look at that ................ those characters have changed to question marks again,

Hmmmmmmmmm ?

macitect

Post by macitect »

Well, working on some elevations right now, but when I have a few minutes I will do some tests too... Perhaps we can track down the problem.

The characters that you were originally trying to use - were they from the keyboard or the char. palette? I have found so far that anything I can access directly from my keyboard works...

Don't forget this resource: ;-) If you hold down  and +shift it shows you the other options.

peatle

Post by peatle »

Yes, everything entered directly from the keyboard works.

The last unicode characters that I tried ( the question marks in my last reply) were from the 'Miscellaneous Technical Block' in Character palette and had the Unicode Numbers 2300 8, 9, A, B.

Do we know if HD has even adopted Unicode. From my limited knowledge of it I believe that it has to be subscribed to in some way ......... do you know if that is correct ?

I only have the US keyboard in use at the moment ...... I did try one of the Canadian ones a long time ago but got something quirky, can't remember exactly what. I'm open to using it sometimes though if there is some advantage. Seems to me though that you can't switch without going back and reinstalling everything or something silly like that ?????

macitect

Post by macitect »

peatle wrote:Do we know if HD has even adopted Unicode. From my limited knowledge of it I believe that it has to be subscribed to in some way ......... do you know if that is correct ?
There you've taken the discussion out of my league... :shock: No idea, sorry.

peatle wrote:I only have the US keyboard in use at the moment ...... I did try one of the Canadian ones a long time ago but got something quirky, can't remember exactly what. I'm open to using it sometimes though if there is some advantage. Seems to me though that you can't switch without going back and reinstalling everything or something silly like that ?????
Don't know if there is any advantage, except I do a fair amount of work and correspondence in french so having all my accented characters close at hand is imperative. Unless you have intentionally uninstalled certain language support modules, then providing yourself more keyboard options is as easy as choosing them in the system prefs.. Once you've enabled multiple keyboards you can switch easily from the menu bar.

peatle

Post by peatle »

I see that some of the Keyboard Languages visible in your Last Grab Shot consist of Unicode characters so I guess HD must support it !