Project Views

General HighDesign Discussions
peatle

Project Views

Post by peatle »

Had a little time to take a first look at the Project Views palette.

The value of this feature is not immediately obvious to me and I'm hoping that someone can explain.

I record a View in this palette. I move to a different part of the main window and then want to see again the View that I recorded so select it in the views palette.

The little pop up window of this view shows the view as it was recorded and when I select this view the main screen shows it this way too.

Now, I make changes to some component that was in the recorded view and then I move to another part of the drawing. When I go back to the views palette and select that view, the little pop up shows it as it was originally recorded but the main window shows the view in it's changed condition.

Is the value of this feature simply to be able to see the view, as recorded, in the little pop up window ? I can't help feeling there must be something else that I'm not seeing ......... the manual doesn't elaborate at all on the purpose of this feature.

Thanks ~ Peter

alexwhite

Post by alexwhite »

Its functionality is two fold... it behaves like a layer/zoom organizer (each view essentially maintains a certain layer and zoom set) then can be used in the Print Preview dialog to print certain sets. In a way its similar to sheets (organizing objects to be on or off) but does so by turning layers on or off and controls zoom. So if you're a one layer type of shop you won't see a benefit.

Be sure that if you want a new layer set to be saved in the View window that you hit the refresh button in that window.

I find it very useful for organizing muliple drawing (sheets in a traditional sense) HD files... and works great when you go to print in that you select the view in the print dialog and then print without having to return to the drawing and turn off/on sheets and layers.
fat guy in a little coat

Andrew
Site Admin

Post by Andrew »

That is an excellent explanation, ybalx! I can only add that project views control sheets too, in addition to layers. They basically let you store and organize different views of the project by turning on and off layers and sheets and by setting zoom level and "canvas" position.

The popup window was added to speed up the workflow when there are several views listed.

peatle

Post by peatle »

Thanks ybalx and Andrew for taking the time and doing the thinking to put these explanations into words.

So in order to realize the benefit of being able to call up a certain Project View and print only that :

• I must turn on or off the layers or sheets that I do or do not want to be contained in that view when I record it. When I recall that Project View it will exhibit this same combination of layers and sheets regardless of which layers or sheets happen to be active in the drawing at the time it is recalled ......... correct ?

• When I call up that Project View I must select all that is contained in it and choose 'Selected Items' in the Print Preview controls in order to print only that portion of the drawing or ...... make that View into a Print Area and select that Print Area to print.

It would appear that this control is beneficial when dealing with a complex combination of Layers and Sheets that I haven't yet attempted to manipulate but I will retain these explanations for use a little way down the road.

Thanks again ~ Peter

peatle

Post by peatle »

I have just found in Print Preview the Current View drop down. Created a view in the current drawing I was doing and see that it appears in this drop down.

So this answers my guestion about "Selecting Items" or " Creating a Print Area" in order to be able to print the selected View ....... Wow !!! The mind Boggles !

~ Peter

peatle

Post by peatle »

I didn't try to Print from this View in the drop down.

With further testing it appears that just selecting this View in the drop down does not make that View appear exclusively in the Print Preview area that shows what is to be printed. I had to go back to the the drawing and Select everything that appeared in the View and then it bacame the area that would be printed.

When selecting a Project View, even if the components contained in it happen to be the active sheet in the drawing in progress, they are not neccessarily on the active sheet when the view appears. It seems like the active sheet now becomes the sheet that was active when the View was recorded, is this correct ?
~ Peter