Split

General HighDesign Discussions
macitect

Split

Post by macitect »

Does the default split shortcut not work for anyone else?

It should be - by default- +É (or whatever the key directly to the left of the right-hand shift key is. depending on what keyboard you have it could be a slash with question mark on top.)

If someone could do a test and get back to me that would be great.

cheers

alexwhite

Post by alexwhite »

Works for me... select the line to split, then start the command.

Did you try trshing you're preferences file and relaunch HD?
fat guy in a little coat

peatle

Post by peatle »

It works OK for me ........ thanks for bringing it up. It makes me realize that I've got to start learning to use the Shortcuts.

Peter

macitect

Post by macitect »

YIKES! You don't use shortcuts?! :shock: I personally can't live without them! :wink:

Anyways, thank you both for checking. I took your advice, Alex, and unfortunately it didn't work (moving the pref file). I don't know if it is because I use the french-canadian keyboard or not, but when I switch to the canadian-CSA or the US keyboard it doesn't work either.

I suppose it is a configuration problem on my machine. For now I have just changed the shortcut to +H. H was the first (only?) letter I could find that wasn't already a shortcut for something.

cheers

peatle

Post by peatle »

Any tips on how to remember the shortcuts ......... do you have a list down the edge of your monitor or something ?

Do you use the built in key combinations or is there some advantage to creating your own ?

macitect

Post by macitect »

I just started with the tools I used most often... Line K, Move T, Duplicate D, Circle O, Extend E, Trim SHIFTT, and then I have been adding others to my repertoire on an ongoing basis. Obviously because there can't be multi letter shortcuts there needs to be the key combos which can sometimes take a little finger acrobatics, but I don't even notice anymore.

I have been intending now to make a graphic list for quite sometime and distribute it as a PDF with all the icons and their shortcuts beside. I have asked Ilexsoft for the icon images, but am still waiting. I am afraid that the quality wouldn't be great if I used cut-up screen prints to do it.

Oh yeah another great one is Break B... thanks to ybalx for that!!!

alexwhite

Post by alexwhite »

I learned to accept a certain amount of the deault HD shortcuts, changed a very few, then added more to complete the list. For me one of the hardest, way back with 1.1, was getting away autocad default habits. Like "L" for Line, and so on.

I'm now fully switched for several years so when I need to run acad on a windows machine I almost collapse from shortcut paralysis.

I've been adding comments to the wishlist for a long time to add more floating panels for almost any command set along with then more ways to add shortcuts. Like I wish there was a shortcut assignable to different dimension lines (leader vs. string for example) or ways to shortcut line type selection (on the fly change from solid to dashed 25) without having to use the mouse solely. Shortcuts for Zoom Views would be awesome.

There seem always to be a few buggy shortcuts. Like the Paste is control+command+v instead of the universal command+v and I can't seem to change it. I also can't find a shortcut command for Measure. I know this had a default shortcut when the feature came out. Now I can't find the command to assign a shortcut, and as a result, never use the command.
fat guy in a little coat

macitect

Post by macitect »

ybalx wrote:Like I wish there was a shortcut assignable to different dimension lines (leader vs. string for example) or ways to shortcut line type selection (on the fly change from solid to dashed 25) without having to use the mouse solely. Shortcuts for Zoom Views would be awesome.
Of all people I would imagine that you already know this, but just in case (and for those that don't)... You can scroll through the different tool options by pressing the shortcut more than once. ie. K=line, Kx2 = line from midpoint, Kx3=double line drawn from lower, Kx4=DL drawn from centre, Kx5=DL drawn from top. Same goes for dimensions... D once - dimension, twice - string dim, thrice - leader, etc.

Changing linetypes... not yet. But i'm with you! I'd like to be able to toggle between layers and linetypes, isolate layers and grab an item and make it's layer current... things like that. Perhaps in version 2...

ybalx wrote: There seem always to be a few buggy shortcuts. Like the Paste is control+command+v instead of the universal command+v and I can't seem to change it.
Paste for me is +V, same as always. That is the default here.
ybalx wrote:I also can't find a shortcut command for Measure. I know this had a default shortcut when the feature came out. Now I can't find the command to assign a shortcut, and as a result, never use the command.
Measure was M before you changed it... :wink:
Go into your Shortcuts in the pref pane and you'll find it under DRAWING TOOLS (at the bottom). Measure is between walls and print areas.

alexwhite

Post by alexwhite »

I must have a different shortcut preferences pane and different Paste and Measures command sets...?????? I remember the version that introduces Copy as Image changed Paste to the new version with the extra control key. I can't find Measure in shortcut commands anywhere.

fat guy in a little coat