importing dxf files

General HighDesign Discussions
Sandking

importing dxf files

Post by Sandking »

Right now I'm testing Highdesign. Because I'm working with Autocad people I need to know if this app will work well with dxf generated by AutoCad. It looks like it's ok, but it's so slow. Zooming in and out is so jaggy I can't believe it. I got Macbook 2 gHz with 2 GB of RAM and Autocad running in Parallels works as smooth as on PC while Highdesign in OS X with dxf imported isn't looking good. If this some dxf import issue or maybe Highdesign doesn't run well with large projects?

macitect

Post by macitect »

Make sure to get rid of the text. I have 1G less ram than you in an imac and I find HD really smooth, except when there is a lot of text. This is the one weak point in importing dxfs with text, because alot of the text doesn't appear, but it is in fact there. It is really easy to get rid of if you use the find command, choose text on all layers, all sheets and erase.

As far as the text really slowing things down, this is a known issue and I know that the Ilexsoft team are really working on it right now.

Sandking

Post by Sandking »

Even a few lines of text? (like there are only subtitles to some elevations - maybe about 50 letters).

p.s.

Getting rid of text - do you mean removing it from the drawing or just turning layers off? If the latter - it's not working well. I left only few layers on (with no text) and with full view it is jaggy (it isn't very large or complicated picture - I left just wall lines of three part building).

macitect

Post by macitect »

Can you send me the file? I'll take a look. (you can private message me or send me an email)

Generally, no, a few lines shouldn't make a big difference, but there might be hidden stuff... There might be some hidden stuff embedded in the file. Otherwise I am not sure why it is jagged for you.

Sandking

Post by Sandking »

After some imports I think I'll have to pass over HD and stick with Autocad under Parallels for a while. I've sent quite a simple file to support to figure out how could it be that my laptop burns (reaches 90% of one core) during zooms and pans. And a Macbook 2ghz/2GB of Ram handles smoothly Windows XP running under Parallels and running Autocad (not to mention that while testing HD I quit all other apps and while running Parallels I got some other processes running in background).

I did all the stuff people suggestes but if HD has problems with scaling a copy of a house levelx3 plus some elevations I don't want to think how frustrated I would be while getting a big commercial job.

I was checking other apps (like Vectorworks and Archicad) and they handle fine dxf imports and yes, I know that they have a long history, but I thought that maybe HD was after using luggage of experience of others and taking advantage of some fresh solutions.

Anyway - I like HD and I'm sure that if not those damn dxf's it would be heaven but for now it would be a waste for me. For sure I'll check new release and see how things are going, so I'll be back.