a suggestion ...

General HighDesign Discussions
Allister

a suggestion ...

Post by Allister »

Hello All

I stumbled across your program today via a link over on the SketchUp forum.

I am a semi switcher from PC to Mac, i.e. I still use both! One of the main reasons id the 2D cad software I use is likely never to be available on Mac, so I have been scouring a few alternatives to see whether they would measure up.

HighDesign looks pretty good, at least I got to draw some lines ... unlike Powercadd. One thing that amazes me though is how cumbersome both products are to get around a drawing, and I am wondring whether this is because of the lack of a third Mac mouse button until recently?

In my pc software to navigate around a drawing I press the wheel on the mouse and to zoom in and out I use the wheel - can this operability not be added to this program?

I also looked at the hatches and they are pretty close in terms of funtionality to what I am using at the moment, and I love the fact that they can be transparent.

just my two-pence worth.

alexwhite

Post by alexwhite »

Allister, I believe that's a great idea to put more functionality behind the right button and scroll wheel in HD. I do use these extra buttons often in Sketchup -- plus you can press the scroll wheel and pan.

Currently in HD you simply press number keys 1-6 to preset zooms (1 is wide and 6 is close). Or "z" and drag a zoom window. The "zoom extents" button (located on the lower status bar) on my machine has always been buggy regardless of version -- usually resulting in a crash for some reason. Andrea is aware of this.

Alex
fat guy in a little coat

TrevorML

Post by TrevorML »

ybalx

funny about the crashing with the zoom extents button as I use it a million times each HD sitting with never a crash and always behaves as it should... must be a system based issue with HD I guess...

cheers
Trevor

Andrew
Site Admin

Re: a suggestion ...

Post by Andrew »

Allister wrote:One thing that amazes me though is how cumbersome both products are to get around a drawing, and I am wondring whether this is because of the lack of a third Mac mouse button until recently?
Maybe, sure. However, if you are used to the procedures of one program, you are most likely going to find odd any other software that does not behaves exactly like that. Maya users would be lost without a two-button mouse.
In my pc software to navigate around a drawing I press the wheel on the mouse and to zoom in and out I use the wheel - can this operability not be added to this program?
Yes, it will be added in the future. Currently, you can activate the Pan tool by pushing (or holding) the space bar on the keyboard, and you can zoom in and out by using the "+" and "-" keys. Also, as ybalx suggested, you can use the keys 1-9 to set the zoom factor.
The scroll wheel would be a nice enhancement, though.
just my two-pence worth.
Thank you for your feedback!
Andrea Suraci
ILEXSOFT - Look Ahead
https://www.ilexsoft.com