Symbol Library Recommendations

General HighDesign Discussions
Michael Colbert

Symbol Library Recommendations

Post by Michael Colbert »

I am looking for a good architectural symbol library. Any recommendations?

Thanks. Michael

macitect

Post by macitect »

Hi Michael and welcome to the forum. What program were you using before? I think your best bet would be to import your old library as dxfs. (Although I don't recommend you bringing in any text, like for details - you'll have to redo that.)

Otherwise start building your own... As far as I know there are no ready-to-go libraries available for HD, although I may put one together myself one of these days...

Oh, yeah... draw everything at 1:1 and then make them scale dependant when inserting them as symbols. And if you don't know yet how to work with symbols just look in the manual. It is really simple to make your own, and now you can modify them and add different views too!

cheers,
macitect

alexwhite

Post by alexwhite »

I believe we've posted a wishlist item for a more user friendly forum category designed for posting symbols and such. Right now, the ilexsoft forum server is challenging to upload attachments.

I bet through a few months of collaboration, we could all post some standard symbols that we've created and are willing to share for the common good. Similar to the SketchUp community forum on components (and now conversely available via Google 3D-Warehouse.

For a modest fee based service, I use Form Fonts for hard to find symbols. Most are 3D, but can be imported without perspective or in 2D.
fat guy in a little coat

Michael Colbert

I was using Autosketch which will convert to DXF but what a hastle. I wish it was possible to buy a DXF symbol library from autodesk or someone that would import smoothly.

I will try drawing my own and see how that goes.

Thanks. Michael

TrevorML

Post by TrevorML »

try this link... or do a google for free dxf symbols...

http://www.architecturalcadd.com/bsa/sy ... raries.htm

cheers
Trevor

peatle

Symbols

Post by peatle »

I have misc. structural steel sections, Angles, Channels, WFs etc that I have created in HD. Would be prepared to share if there was a way and interested to see what anyone else has for the Steel Fab industry.

Cheers, Peter Russell

alexwhite

Post by alexwhite »

I have a full catalog of US molding shapes for trim details, cornices, bases, etc...

Willing to share.
fat guy in a little coat

Michael Colbert

Thanks for the input.

I am going to see how hard it is to import DXFs and probably subscribe to a symbol library site.

Best. Michael