Block and Border question

General HighDesign Discussions
johnallred

Block and Border question

Post by johnallred »

I've created a block and border that I'd like to use on sheets with different scales. It seems like the easiest way to do this would be to make it scale independent / actual sheet size, but I can't see a way to do this. I realize I can make it a symbol and scale it as appropriate for each sheet. Then I have to deal with different font sizes for writing in the block spaces, however.

Any suggestions?

macitect

Post by macitect »

Draw your border in a fresh file at 1:1 scale to your paper dimensions (do plenty of print previews to make sure it is not imperceptibly crossing the print margin border and forcing your prints to span more than one sheet!). Then choose all items and in the file menu choose save special - as new symbol. Then when you insert it to a drawing it is at the moment of insertion that you can choose it to be scale independant.

If this isn't clear just let me know. As far as text elements go within a titleblock, normally you have to explode your symbol to modify them. At least that is the best way I have found so far. Once exploded, I normally group it all on one layer that I can easily turn off.

cheers,
macitect

alexwhite

Post by alexwhite »

I believe you're on to it with the notion thaat the titleblock is related to the sheet size. So as long as you're plotting to the same sheet size, one titleblock should work.

I created a title block symbol that includes a print area box. The print area box was snapped to the print margins of a specific sheet size. I selected the final print area and the included text and created a symbol from this. Insert it, explode and edit the text.
fat guy in a little coat

johnallred

Post by johnallred »

Thanks guys.

It hadn't occured to me that I could explode a symbol to be able to edit text within. That's a big help!