.DWG to .DXF file converter for OS X?

General HighDesign Discussions
Phoebe

.DWG to .DXF file converter for OS X?

Post by Phoebe »

I'm embarking (no pun intended) on the renovation of a 1926 log cabin, and intend to use HD for floorplans.

Has anybody found a good file converter for the Mac that converts .DWG files to .DXF files? There seem to be plenty of converters for Windows out there. I'm just looking for some inexpensive or free utility so I can convert manufacturer's drawings into HD.

Thx,
Phoebe

steven

dwg to dxf

Post by steven »

welcome. colorado springs is a greatplace. My son goes to college there. I also would like a answer to your question. Since I work on both the PC and Mac, I use the PC (autcad) to do the translation. But it would be nice not to go to the extra steps. I've thought of using virtual pc on the mac since I already own all the PC software. Any help from HD users would be great. And it would be nice if HD would make this a part of ther software, even if there were a cost associated with the upgrade.

macitect

Post by macitect »

Hello to you both,

In an earlier thread another member, ybalx, said that he opens his .dwgs in SketchUp and then brings them into HD. So if you use SU that is one temporary option. That is also how I do it. It is not ideal, but for the moment it works. Other than that I know of a program that allows MAC users to SEE .dwgs but not to work with them. I know that doesn't help the current situation, but it might be a good place to start looking...
http://www.solidworks.com/pages/product ... wings.html

ANyways, other than that, I think we have to raise this concern with the people at HD (through the wish list and/or the suggestion form). Their response is usually very positive and it would not surprise me if they were to add this functionality in the future if there are enough of us who express a need.

Cheers,
macitect

ps I will continue also looking for a converter and let you know if I find one.

alexwhite

Post by alexwhite »

Sketchup is an excellent program... and offers a free full trial version of eight hours. And I believe 8 hours is an active 8 hours of mouse movement, not just running application time.

http://www.sketchup.com/?id=76

In the translation you may lose hatches, text, dimensions, xrefs, etc. Hopefully you'll get the base line work for HD.

You'll also need to adjust your prefs in both SU and HD to manage lines, extensions and scales. But's not too difficult. Expirement first with some simple drawings.
fat guy in a little coat

alexwhite

Post by alexwhite »

Also, dwg and dxf formats are universal between mac and windows, so if you know of a windows based convertor you might try it running on an emulator on mac. I've recently loaded GuestPC with some luck.
fat guy in a little coat

TrevorML

Post by TrevorML »

A great looking emulator that is free/open source(?) is Q

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/20830

loading Win98ME at the moment and seems OK so far... will be able to tell more tonight when I get home from work and see how it runs...

cheers
Trevor