informal poll: system specs and overall feel of HD

General HighDesign Discussions
alexwhite

informal poll: system specs and overall feel of HD

Post by alexwhite »

Don't get me wrong, I am a proponent of this product and know that it will continue -- I am a pro user. However, as Andrea and company work on the next release I still need to pay the bills. Last night I was drawing for 8 hours and ended the session with a crash I believe because of processor heat in my Cube. I probably beta test new HD releases too eagerly and so the mild frustrations of bugs add up especially after an all nighter. Bottom line I want to depend on the software to be reliable and fast. I am not expecting it to do anything more than 2D drafting. But the speed and cursor issues (selection appears to be the worst part for me) add up. And I wonder if its my processor that is the root cause. I grew up with autocad on windows machines and remember the core competencies with this setup and wish I add the same feeling with my current setup.

My machine right now

Apple G4 Cube with Powerlogix Dual 7457 1.3Ghz Processor
1.5 GB Ram
120 GB 7200RPM 8MB Seagate Hard Drive
Nvidia Geforce 2MX Twinview card with 32 MB
Apple 23" ADC
Various card fans and VRM coolers/heat plates

Mac OS 10.4.2

HD 1.5.1

Appreciate hearing what others have/experience especially if you came from a windows/autodesk background. I am wondering whether my beloved Cube needs to be shleved as a media server....

Alex
fat guy in a little coat

TrevorML

Post by TrevorML »

My system is:

Apple G4 Powerbook 1.5Ghz Processor
1 GB Ram
80 GB 5400rpm Hitachi Hard Drive + 30 GB external firewire pocket drive
ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 with 128MB VRAM
Bluetooth and Airport

I find HD runs very well on this set-up... used to used a 1st generation G4 tower with only a 9GB internal and the 30 GB external firewire pocket drive with only 384MB RAM or something like that with a 21" Studio Display and that was OK for HD... but a pain with SketchUp with anything other than a basic model

cheers
trevor