How should we draw elevations ?

General HighDesign Discussions
cdesign

How should we draw elevations ?

Post by cdesign »

Hi everyone,

I am testing HighDesign R5 and R6 and I can not rotate a plan to trace guides to draw the elevation from that plan.
When I rotate the plan (walls, windows and doors) I lose the windows and doors, they fo not rotate even if I group all the elements.
So the question is how do you draw the elevation from each plan ?

Thanks a lot

cdesign

Re: How should we draw elevations ?

Post by cdesign »

32 views and no help, it seems this is a community forum.
Just want to know what´s a good workflow to draw elevations on HighDesign.
Some help from this forum.

Thanks a lot

Andrew
Site Admin

Post by Andrew »

In the current version, one approach would be to duplicate the relevant items of a floor plan, like walls, openings, stairs and structural elements, to another sheet. Then rotate the duplicates according to the view that you need to draw.

There was a thread a while ago about the ability to easily rotate a plan to draw sections and elevations. This is an area where we are going to add more features in the near future, and the first, as anticipated, will be underlays. With an underlay, you won't need to duplicate the items as the floorplan will be automatically visible on the elevation sheet, like a Detail sheet.

alexwhite

Post by alexwhite »

Welcome cdesign.

I've used this workflow for years. I think the exception are two things: I don't use guidelines in practice and I don't use Wall and Windows (very much). I just draw everything out old school, use symbols, group and ungroup etc.

The other workflow I've standardized on is to not use Layers in HD. I predominantly use one layer and instead manage content via Sheets.

Hope that helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fat guy in a little coat

cdesign

Post by cdesign »

Thank you Andrew and Alexwhite,

Andrew
As I said a using the technic to group all necessary elements (walls, doors and windows)but the point is when I rotate them I lose all the doors and windows they do not rotate, that's why I ask how the other HighDesign users are drawing elevations.

I do like the way HighDesign use layers, sheets, but it does not seam stable.
Working now with R6 I notice a issue, the application seems to forget the location of the file we are working on, It already happens twice, I am going to open a new topic to see if there is any fix for that.

Alexwhite
Working with HighDesign and not using the existing tools we are not taking the advantages of new tools, I wonder why go you decide to go this way.

Thanks

macmau74

Post by macmau74 »

cdesign wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:45 am I am testing HighDesign R5 and R6 and I can not rotate a plan to trace guides to draw the elevation from that plan.
When I rotate the plan (walls, windows and doors) I lose the windows and doors, they fo not rotate even if I group all the elements.
Using HD R6 I do not encounter this type of problem, walls and relative openings are correctly rotated. I work on mac intel with Mojave, could it be a bug related to other specific configurations?

cdesign

Post by cdesign »

Hi macmau74,

I think I still get the issue on beta, the new R6 do not have this issue anymore.

Thanks